Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57186 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #261 on: Monday 03 November 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Again picked this up by chance ?? have roots stopped sending notifications now ?

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I can see that you have had some notifications but not all. I will send you a pm to discuss in more detail.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Do you have this book "Sunderland in Old Photographs" by Stuart Miller & Billy Bell?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Sunderland-Old-Photographs-S-T-Miller/dp/0862998980

softcover, 159 pages, original price seven pound, ninety-five pence, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1991

On page 33 is an image of "The Museum and Central Library in around 1910" (designed of course by JT and his brother) from the Auty-Hastings collection which appears to be held by Newcastle Library.

Apologies; I don't have a scanner, so cannot send you the photo. But this book would be something to look for if you make it up to the NE next year. That image is the only reference to Tillman in the book.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Not into much research at the moment, due to family duties I am told.

Still have found a bit more on the 'Two brother Architect's work' - like everything they built - Hitler's demolishion mob flatterned, Shops and offices in Fawcet Street, the Baltic Chambers on the corner of St Thomas Street and John Street, Tatham street Methodist Chapel and the Winter Gardens, just to name a few. However it appears that certain pubs he did survived. Will continue on these two Gents, when I have the time, as the rest i.e. The Ellingtons etc seem a dead end ?

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:40 GMT (UK) »
There is quite a lot about the Tillmans in "The Architechture of Sunderland 1700-1914" by Michael Johnson and Graham Potts. You can get it as an eBook,  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01elh/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan

Yes, have got the book, and also contact with Michael, without that book, could have been stumbling in the Dark for a long time.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Extracted from            ‘Peter’s People in the 19th Century’                   By John Tillman

How did the Tillmans arrive in Sunderland ?  - Well for me it was somewhat easier –

As a Cadet Officer, sailing with the Union-Castle S.S. Company, I was instructed  to join the
“Drakensberg Castle” on 18th December 1953 to take her to Newcastle for Dry-docking , on arrival I was transferred to the “Roxburgh Castle” in  a Sunderland dry dock, a Christmas time never to forget- hence on the 18th January 1954 we left  on a round trip to Capetown, ( arriving back in the U.K.  March 18th – full of Oranges) this had been my 10th voyage with
 ‘ The Lavender Hull Mob’.

Here I must take you back to February 25th 1801, when my 3xGreat Grandfather Peter Tillman ( b.1768 ) a yeoman Farmer ( as was his Father and Grandfather ) from Lympstone, in  S.Devon, married Tammy Warren  (b. 1782) from Withycombe  Raleigh – a longish walk, or quick horse ride away from Lympstone.

Cutting to essentials – Peter died young in 1816 – leaving Tammy a widow, with her three existing children to look after – Thomasin b. 1803,  George b.1805, and John b. 1811. It seems however that she was not penniless, as Peter had made provision for her in his will.

For certain, the next record I found, was when Tammy married her daughter Orf ! in 1821, to a Mr Henry George Ellington ( Mate of the “Seaflower ),who whisked Thomasin  away to Sunderland – the first to arrive !! about the same time my direct 2x Great Grandfather George went to London to become apprentice to a Carriage Lamp Maker.( Another story.)
This left Tammy with young 10year old John. Then in 1822  Widow Tammy married widower ( with five young children) Thomas Goodsir Master Mariner (of the Brig “Transfer” from Scarborough) – Taking young John – off they went to live in Scarborough.
Next event, was Young John, by then 14yrs old, joined the “Fenwick” of Sunderland as an Apprentice in 1825.
Time line :
1831. Thomas Goodsir dies and Tammy moves to Sunderland to be close to Thomasin .
1834. In February Tammy (aged 52 yrs dies and is buried in the churchyard at Holy Trinity
          Bishopwearmouth Sunderland).
          On the 10 th May Tammy’s son, John now 2nd Mate on the ‘Denton’ married Margaret
          Tullick (daughter of a Master Mariner) in St Peter’s Church Monkwearmouth. The
          chief witness was Thomasin (John’s sister).
1836. An Architect was born to Margaret and named John.
1841. Captain John’s first daughter – Mary Isabella was born.
1844. Capt. John and Margaret’s second daughter Louisa was born;
1852. Another Architect was born – Thomas, who would become a partner in the firm
1858. Thomasin died aged 55years.
1862. Mary Isabella married William Turnbull on 20th January at St Michael’s All Angels
1863. Mary Isabella gave birth, to what would be her only daughter Dorothy, as in fact, on
          the 1st Sept 1873 William at the age of only 34 died.
1868. Captain John died, while on his ship the ‘Royal Arch  in Sulina (Danube)Roumania.
1880. Last of the Captain’s daughters Louisa married the Rev Alan Wilson.
1887. Captain John’s wife Margaret died. 1890. Louisa aged only 45 years died;
1892. At the young age of 40years Thomas, who had not been in good health died.
1899. On the 31st Dec saw the death of our Architect John Tillman FRIBA, last surviving
          member of Captain’s family Mary Isabella died in 1907.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating reading, John. So easy to follow when you do it in a timeline like that. After all this time I feel as if I know these people.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Thursday 22 January 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Morning Westoe

The hidden plus for time zones, are that now I have 'Beaulieus' for breakfast - BUT also for Lunch and Supper thanks once again, must be under snow again ? When I am allowed, (smile) will let you know how it goes.

Happy digging ! preferable in FindMyPast and not snow !

Best

John