Author Topic: bedwellty church 1995- 1908  (Read 4498 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bedwellty church 1995- 1908
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
KC

Are you sure that you have the correct 1911 census?

The census I have for Louisa Hill for 1911 (living at 6 Thords Road, Walsall) has her showing 9 births and 9 children living and the children living with her being:

Issac 17
Florence 13
Irene 10
William R 7
Elsie C 3 (Born Monmouthshire - FreeBMD Birth June 1908 Bedwellty 11a 82)

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:57 BST (UK) »
There is a Doris Hill age 11 on the 1911 census living with her grandmother Emma Hill (65 years) living at Station Road, Hednesford - which from Jabez will in 1909 is where the family were living at that time.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:05 BST (UK) »
KC

Believe that on the 1911 census Emma Hill (19 years) is working as domestic servant at:

The Surf Tavern
12 Bradford Street
Walsall

RG14/17165/62

She gives her place of birth as Pensylvania

Ray

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:27 BST (UK) »
KC

I have a Frederick Hill (age 20 born Staffordshire) living at 85 Arrial Street, Six Bells on the 1911 census, living as a boarder with a family called Lewis  RG14/31835/216

But there is also a death of Frederick Hill born Hednesford, serving with the 9th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers in France 7 Jul 1916.  He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.  You can visit the site here:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/791833/HILL,%20FREDERICK

Ray

Offline kc3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
Some great work there Ray, jeez your quick.

Yep just went to check the census and your right all 9 are alive, i must have looked at someone elses census, think it must have been Louisa Hill who was married to James Hill, its there plain as day, 9 children, 9 alive.

Ive been looking at that war grave thinking is that my Frederick, . Must double check the arrail st, though, its too close to not be linked??  Great detective work. There was a Frederick Hill who was married to an Elsie Barlow in 1912 in Walsall, think that is the same Frederick that died.  They could even be the same Fredrick, he could have moved back to staffordshire later in 1911 or 1912.

Emma Hill nee webster was Doris's granny.

Thats also my Emma Hill, must add that to my info.

*think i need to go to specsavers... 

Jabez hill was living with Mary Ann Mears and Thomas Mears living in walsall -  18 countess street, walsall.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
I think it is highly likely that the Fred who died is your Fred.  Whilst he was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers his death notice says that he actually enlisted at Hednesford.  So whilst he enlisted in Staffs he joined a Welsh regiment??  Have searched for his war records but not found any - looks like they are among the many burnt records.

His medal roll card shows that he actually arrived in France 19th July 1915 - so along with the War & Victory Medals he was also awarded the 1914/15 Star.

Offline kc3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for looking into it.  I do think that its my Frederick...   Too many deaths in war, his number 8 on my tree to have died in a war..  Like most uk families, I dont think any were left unaffected.

Thanks again Ray.

Karla