Author Topic: Sarah Chapmans of Calary  (Read 8272 times)

Offline gacman55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Chapmans of Calary
« on: Friday 03 December 10 02:04 GMT (UK) »
On Oct 1 1848 Henry Chapman (Killpoole) married Sarah Chapman (Calary). I know his parents (born 1819 to Benjamin and Martha Chapman), but not hers. She was god-mother to Sarah Chapman, dau. of Henery Chapman (Henery born 1826; spelling from records), he the son of George and Harriett Chapman of Calary.
 I’m trying to figure out who the first Sarah Chapman was and trying to see if there is family tie between George Chapman and Henry Chapman’s father Benjamin Chapman of Dunbur/Three-mile Water. Benjamin’s parents may have been John and Catherine Chapman.
Also, I have a photocopy of letter a from Henery’s daughter Sarah (in West Monkstown, County Dublin) to Henry and Sarah’s son, “Dear Cousin Henry” (in the United States, I think), written during WWI. The letter mentions her marriage to John Williams (a harness maker in Bray), their three children, and some relatives, viz. her sisters Grace and Harriett, Dick and Tom, her sister Maria and Maria’s son Dick, “aunt Susannah Hamilton” in Boston, Dick and Hannah Sharpe (deceased at the writing), George Massey (Dublin), Mary Ann Sparks (Dublin), Robert Sparks, Sarah Fox (her niece), uncle George, Katie, Joe, and Tom Fox. Help putting these puzzle pieces together welcomed.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Chapmans of Calary
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 10 15:58 GMT (UK) »
On Oct 1 1848 Henry Chapman (Killpoole) married Sarah Chapman (Calary). I know his parents (born 1819 to Benjamin and Martha Chapman), but not hers......

Maybe the place to start your search is with a marriage cert for Henry & Sarah, as this will show both father's names plus other details that might help  :

Name : Henry Chapman
 Registration District : Rathdrum
 Event Type : Marriage
 Year : 1848
 volume : 9 / page : 661

Name : Sarah Chapman
 [same index references]

see :
 Introduction to Irish Records
 Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
 Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 December 10 16:04 GMT (UK) »
The date is a little different to the one you have...  Familysearch Beta includes the extracted version of the marriage (slightly less detail than a civil cert) :

Groom's Name : Henry Chapman
 Groom's Age : 29  (est YOB 1819)
 Bride's Name : Sarah Chapman
 Bride's Age : 21 (est YOB 1827)
 Marriage Date : 31 Oct 1848
 Marriage Place : Ireland
 Groom's Father's Name : Benjamin Chapman
 Bride's Father's Name : George Chapman

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gacman55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 December 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the George Chapman name for Sarah's father. As Sarah was born about 1827 it might be possible for her to be an aunt to the younger Sarah, daughter of Henery who was born to George and Harriett Chapman (baptism 10 Sep 1826). I've no record for the baptism of the older Sarah although I do have baptisms for other children of George and Harriett in 1829, 1831, 1834, 1836, 1840, 1843 and 1845 (all Delgany Parish, Henery no address, next two Glen of the Downs, all later ones Calary).

Funny that young Sarah didn't call her god-mother "aunt Sarah" in the ca. 1916 letter, but not a major obstacle to assuming an aunt-niece relationship. Sussanah, baptized 1845, was likely "aunt Sussanah Hamilton of Boston."

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 December 10 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Dunganstown Parish Graveyard (near Three Mile Water) has a headstone for a John Chapman, Ballyrogan, died 8 Dec 1931 age 49 and his father Henry Chapman, died 27 Apr 1942 age 88.

Cheers

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Another old headstone - this time at Christ Church Delgany for Benjamin Joseph Chapman who died age 70 on 26 Jan 1905 and his wife Sarah who died 29 Oct 1908.  The headstone erected by their son George Henry Chapman.

Have you looked at headstones in the area as there are numerous Chapmans mentioned.

Cheers

Offline gacman55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 December 10 03:52 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate all the information. I know of the marriage of Benjamin Joseph Chapman to Sarah Smith and suspect relationships to most of these folks you mentioned. Most of my line came to North America between 1832 and 1873, but I am greatly intrigued by ties with those cousins who didn't leave. I live in the U.S. and have visited Dunganstown Churchyard to see my Tyndall ancestors grave stones. Also those Chapman grave stones in Wicklow town COI church and Redcross. Interesting that these Tyndall stones at Dunganstown were so ground-level and overgrown that Cantwell never recorded them. I even had to scrape some grass and dirt away to view them in 2005. I also looked at Enereilly (what a mess) and Old Kilbride.

Offline gbneighbour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
This is really interesting, but did anyone get to the bottom of the Henry Chapman and Sarah marriage.  If anyone knows where Sarah Elizabeth Penrose fits I'd be grateful.  There seems to be two Henry and Sarah marriages at the same time in the same place but to two different Sarah's.  Comments very welcome!

Offline LindaSutton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 July 14 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Linda Sutton I am Great Great Great Granddaughter of George Henry Chapman of Delgany Co Wicklow born 1794. His Wife was Harriet Chapman. His Son Henry Chapman (my Great Great Grandfather) Married Anne Sharpe Daughter Of Richard Sharpe and Grace Sharpe Née Penrose. My Great Grandmother was Anne and Henry's Daughter Grace Penrose Chapman. She married my Great Grandfather Henry Sutton and they had my Grandfather Henry Sutton. I have always heard rumours that we are related to Sir Thomas Chapman (father of T.E Lawrence) But I have yet to find out if this is true!  I also know that my Great Grandfather Henry Sutton was a Full Widower when he married Grace Penrose Chapman. I would like to find out some more information on the Chapman side of the family! So If you're related to me in any way. Please don't hesitate to reply!