Author Topic: Jane Robertson b 1849, Peterhead  (Read 4712 times)

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jane Robertson b 1849, Peterhead
« on: Saturday 14 February 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Havent been doing much researching lately, ( enjoying summer time down under).

My great grandmother is Jane Robertson born 1849 in Peterhead ( parents James Robertson 1818-1871 & Ann Smith 1817-1904. Jane married John Lawrence May in July 1867 in Inverallochy.

Recently discovered that her father James Robertson died in 1871 in  the Aberdeen Lunatic Asylum, after being there for 15 yrs - in 1855, when the youngest of James & Ann's 7 children,   was only a year old. 

I have Jane aged 2 years in Backgate Street, Peterhead, in the 1851 census, but unable to find her again until 1881 onwards in 12 Main Street, Inverallochy with her husband and growing family ( they had 14 children )   My grandfather was # 8, John May born 1882.

Her father was admitted to the Asylum in 1855, suffering from Domestic Unhappiness and Homicidal, must have been very hard on his wife and children.

Can anyone help me find Jane, her mother and siblings in 1861 & 1871.

It is possible that they may have been in Portessie at some stage, as this was Ann Smith place of birth and death. 

Kind regards

Maureen
Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Robertson b 1849, Peterhead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 February 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen.  This may be them in the 1871 Census of Peterhead, John May aged 22 and wife Jane.  Sorry, I have no credits left to access the census page

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 February 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
My gt.grandad was in the same place - for seventeen years.As you'll know by now there is a wealth of information to be found in the archives.Have you checked the poor relief records? I found my gt,grandad's mother named on the application form.This was a great find as he was illegitimate & I was n't able to trace her until I read her married name & address!I also learnt the whereabouts of his family not just the dependants but also those away from home working.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline kooran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 February 09 18:28 GMT (UK) »
In the 1861 census there is a Jane Robertson, 21, living as a servant with the Mutch family in Peterhead.

The 1871 census has a John and Jane May living at 12 Main St., Inverallochy, Rathen with John's grandfather? (John aged 83) and two children; James 2 and Jane (just born I think).

I can send you the images if you PM me your email address.
Ironside, Adie, Wilson, Park, Ferrier, Gray, Tennant
Robb, Hardie, Clark, Johnston, Harper, Elmslie, Watt

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for looking into Jane's past for me.

Kooran : you seem to be on the right family.  They lived all there lives in 12 Main St, Inverallochy.

Flst :   I have never access the Poor Records, how do I go about doing that ??

Isles :  The John  & Jane you found must be another couple,  I know there were a couple of different John May's. 

Maureen
Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 09 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if you look at the top of the Aberdeenshire page on rootschat,you'll see a link to Aberdeenshire Archives. Follow the instructions & you 'll be able to find contact details. Aberdeenshire Poor Relief Records records are indexed according to parishes, so I expect the archivists will be able to quickly find  information on your ancestors.They are a very helpful lot!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hello - a bit late here but you wouldn't happen to know what your Ann Smith's parents' names were, would you?

Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor87

Ann's parents were John Smith b 1794, died bet. 1861-1866, in Portessie, and Mary Sutherland b 1797, and died 13 June 1866 in Portessie.  They had 9 children, "my Ann" being the eldest.     In the 1861 census  John & Mary were at 74 Portessie, aged 68 & 63. 

Regards

Maureen

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 April 09 16:39 BST (UK) »
Oh right.

My greatx4 grandmother was Elspet Smith(1819-1904), born in Peterhead. According to her death certificate, her parents were John Smith and Ann Thom (c.1783-1860).
I think that the informant was wrong, and believe her father was Alexander Smith.

So there may be a connection further back. :)
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan