Author Topic: Looking for information on the Hockley family from around Surrey, England  (Read 10306 times)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on the Hockley family from around Surrey, England
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 April 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Maybe this database would be useful.

gweaa.com/.../Database-Soldiers-died-in-East-Africa-during-the-First-Worl...  I found it by Googling:  Lionel Hockley East Africa.

Jann

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 April 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jann, that link has given me the information I was after about Lionel in Africa.

Sandi

Offline bcheeseman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello: My last name is Cheeseman and I am researching my great grandfather J. S. H. Cheeseman who lived in Guildford, Surrey. Ironically my research has led me to the Hockley Page of Remembrance.  Apparently, my great grandfather used the name J. S. H. Hockley during his entire military career. The Page of Remembrance states see "Cheeseman" the true family name.  Therefore, it appears there was some connection between the families.  Did you know about this and if so would you please share same with me.  None of my family in the U.K. Knew about this and I live in the US.  For your reference, he was a sergeant with the 1st Bn East Surrey Regiment SN: 24171.  Thanks for your consideration Bernie

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 March 17 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernie,
      I was unaware of any link between the Cheeseman and Hockley names..... this is news to me.

My Hockley family is from around the Surrey area and some of them were in India for several generations. My link is through my Grandmother Violet Hockley who was born in India in 1886.

I've just had a look at the 'Hockley Page of Remembrance' and found my Grandmothers brother -

L. Hockley (Lionel)
Private
North Western Railway, Machine Gun Sect., Indian Army
Died on Tuesday, 19th September 1916.
Cemetery:  MOMBASA (MBARAKI) CEMETERY, Kenya

Regards,
         Sandi

Offline bcheeseman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 March 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandi:  Thanks for your response. I was also surprised to see my great grandfather listed on several occasions under the last name of Hockley (I'm sure that you saw this on the Role of Remembrance).  My thoughts are that he was probably raised by a Hockley family and due to the bond/respect started to use their name at an early age? Unfortunately, we will probably never know the answer.  It was good to hear from you.  Take care and if I discover anything I'll let you know😀🇺🇸🇬🇧