Author Topic: Baptism & Marriage Records Castletown , Mountroth- Completed With Thanks.  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I'm trying to trace the details of the family of one Patrick Morrisey/ Morisey born c 1816 to Charles Daniel Morrisey and Mary Delaney. Patrick came to Australia in 1856 aged 21 years. His Immigration Deposit was paid for by a James Delaney (brother to Mary?) on 01/10/1855. Patrick died aged 85 at North Sydney, NSW on 05/08/1919.

Patrick married Catherine Bennett in Cooma, NSW on 22/07/1861 and they had a large family. I am trying to piece together Patrick's family details from Ireland for one of his Grandsons who turns 90 in a couple of months. I know I am asking a fair bit but any help anyone could give me as far as baptism records for Patrick and any of his siblings, and if possible, the marriage details for Charles and Mary, would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Tissy :)

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism & Marriage Records Castletown, Mountroth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have just received a PM pointing out the blooper I made in my post yesterday regarding Patrick Morrisey's DOB. It should have read c1834/35 not c 1816.

My apologies for this error, I'm afraid the old grey cells are not what they used to be. I am really glad that someone is on the ball and I have sent a PM direct thanking him for his input.
Regards,
Tissy :-[ :-[

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Tissy,

Three items are required when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish.
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as your ancestors were born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland. This happened in 1864. The marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards.

Christopher

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thank you very much for that information, I will follow it up with Vin and see if we can find out a bit more from this end and hopefully at least get a starting point for our Irish search.
Thanks once again.

Regards,
Tissy

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Tissy,

I hope it's Mountrath and not Mountroth as there are Church Records for the former - 1823-1880 Family History Library Catalogue numbers: 0926121 and 0926122.

Christopher 

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 08 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thank you very much for the Mountrath information, I will chase up the records at the Library. I have worked out in the last couple of days that the information on Patrick's death certificate wasn't quite correct and that it should have been Mountrath. One of those things with certificates, time, accent, who's giving the info etc., all part of the fun of genealogy. Thanks once again, your help is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Tissy :)

Offline sharonnapiermcalary

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism & Marriage Records Castletown , Mountroth- Completed With Thanks.
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tessy

I have some information about this family if you would like to contact me. I know this post is old but there is always something new to share.
Regards
Sharon
 ;D

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post, things have been a bit hectic lately. Unfortunately Vin, the gentleman I was doing the research for, passed away in June last year, he was 94. I'm still in contact with his niece in Queensland who may be interested in swapping information with you. If you would like to send me a PM with your email address, I can contact her and forward it on. Thank you very much for your interest.
Regards, Tissy

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Rootschatters must have at least 3 posts before they can send or receive PMs.  So Sharon has to send 2 more,  a few smilies will do.