Author Topic: Dr Robert Martin of Newtownards  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr Robert Martin of Newtownards
« on: Monday 01 September 14 08:48 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for any information about Dr. Robert Martin of Newtownards.   He was born around 1801, but I don't know where.   He died in 1880.   I have his wife, Eliza Moore Warden, and several children.   There is a possibility he was related to the Martin family of Antigua, West Indies as we have cuff links engraved with the crest of that particular Martin family, but cannot make a direct link. 

His father-in-law, David Warden of Ballywatticock, Newtownards died before the marriage of Dr. Martin and Eliza Warden in 1832.   He may have been married to Jane McCormick, and there is a possible sister to Eliza named Eleanor Jane Warden.   

Any help with the Martin or Warden families appreciated.
Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Robert Martin of Newtownards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Probate abstract:

The Will of Robert Martin late of Newtownards County Down M.D. deceased who died 9 April 1880 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Eliza Martin of Newtownards Widow Seth Robb of Portadown County Armagh Merchant and John Cahoon of Belfast Jeweller the Executors. Effects under £1,500

Full will can be viewed on-line on the PRONI website:

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 00:12 BST (UK) »
That was me posting on ancestry message boards under 'linpan'.  I was hoping to catch a different knowledgable person on this site!  :)  I've already scanned Derek Beatties's website, and got some useful information.  However, I just cannot find where Dr. Robert Martin came from.   There is a family story that he may have come from Cork.   Perhaps I should also post there.    I have his will from PRONI.   Thanks for the replies.
Linda
Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 09:13 BST (UK) »
It's best not to have multiple topics looking for the same information- tends to confuse both the poster and those trying to help.

Have you asked Ballynahinch* Library (the staff are fantastic) for help?

Perhaps a newspaper obituary (not the death notice but a proper biographical article) might shed some light on his origins.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
The Belfast News Letter of 12th April 1880 carried a death notice but, as far as I can see, no obituary.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
I was thinking more in the lines of a newspaper (possibly weekly) that would have covered Newtownards*.

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 06:35 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure why Ballymena has been suggested - would they also cover Newtownards?   I did try Newtownards library months ago, but they had no facility to help.

I'm subscribed to British Newspapers online, and have the death notice of Dr. Robert Martin, but no sign of an obituary.    I also emailed the Newtownards Chronicle to see if they would put a letter from me in the paper asking for information, but never got a reply.  I was surprised as I've found this angle to have worked in the past in a different locality in the UK.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 07:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the typo- should have been Ballynahinch not Ballymena-
http://www.rascal.ac.uk/index.php?CollectionID=79&navOp=locID&navVar=30

There's also the Newspaper Library adjoining Central Library in Belfast with a diverse collection.