Author Topic: victorian mourning photo? Louisa Ada Simkiss  (Read 4034 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
Re: victorian mourning photo?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 April 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
this is a photo of her mother who lived 1847-1913 she is the widow of the man who was killed in 1889 any idea on date for this one please?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 April 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
It's defiantly my second great nan born 1873 so it can't be 1870s?

Who told you it was her? Jim is excellent at dating and my book suggested 1870s.  Did she have any elder sisters?

Could you posiibly scan the back, please - all of it including the edges. This could further help with dating.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 April 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
It's defiantly my second great nan born 1873 so it can't be 1870s?
Definitely 1870's.
Is there much point in dating this if you don't believe what's being said ?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 April 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I appologise if I sounded ungrateful in your estimate of date I was disapointed that its not who ive been told it is, what do you date the second photo perhaps they have bren confused unfornunatly I do not iwn the origina vopies

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: victorian mourning photo? Louisa Ada Simkiss
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 April 14 07:36 BST (UK) »
The second one looks to me as though it is 1880's, possibly 1885ish :)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 April 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Just to add and also to confirm on the date of the first image being from the 1870's.

The subject's hair is off the forehead and taken back towards the crown and the back of the head leaving the ears uncovered, where it has been put into a Chignon, due to the lowness of this where it is on the nape of the neck it then is termed as being in a Catagan style. She only has two pieces of jewellery that I can see these being what would appear to be be dropped earrings and a brooch. Her Bodice would have had a dropped shoulder seam, which because of the small shawl that she sports can not be seen. The sleeves of the bodice it self are "coat sleeves" which have no overal design shape to them stopping short of the wrist and having a single button at what would be the cuff, however this area is extended an inch or so by the inclusion of some lace work which then takes this to the wrist. The skirt, seperate from the bodice, is typical of the era with a sweep from the waist to the hem, which falls just above the floor and in line with the toe of the footwear, above the hem can be seen the "frilling" of the skirt sometimes this is only one line of material other times it can be two, three or more. The skirt also has fabric dropping down from the waist, both front and back, which gives the skirt its name of being an "apron skirt" (the fabric at the back, which one can just make out, is known as a peplum and in todays fashion both front and back go by that name). As Jim has alsready said, the hankerchief would be of lace and I would not put to much store on the fact that she is holding it because of mourning. Photographers were, at this time, getting the sitter to hold things be it a book, glasses or in this case a hankerchief. I would also not put too much on the fact that she is standing next to an empty chair, which by the way is a Jacobian revival chair with barley twist back supports, an over the top decorative splat and turned stetchers again typical of the date given by Jim & Gadget, it did happen that chairs were used in the fashion that Frank has described but again I feel that in this instance the chair has been utilised more as a prop by the photographer to even the image out and also to lend some support to the subect (not forgetting that due to the exposure time one had to stay stock still.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 April 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
What a lot I learn on this site!    ;) ;)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 April 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Don't you just love it, I find every day is a learning curve.

Thanks for putting that on OR.

Frank.  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 April 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
A long time since we had an OR master class.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/