Author Topic: Father of John HAYDON Crediton Devon born 1746  (Read 15280 times)

Offline HOLLYTREE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Father of John Haydon Crediton Devon born 1746
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 January 13 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your information, my 4th gt grandparents are also Anne Haydon and Thomas Sharland (Sharland line).  I have researched the Haydon's extensively using ancestry.com and familysearch website also and this is what I have found, Anne had two brothers John and Andrew, her parents where John Haydon and Sarah Glandvill, I'm pretty sure John Haydon's parents were:

John Haydon born 1715 Crediton and Rachel Edbury 1715 Crediton (www.familysearch) John and Rachel's children were Anne, John and Andrew and their birth dates are all accurate.

Possible parent of John Haydon is George Haydon 1695 Crediton and Mary Ward (no birth certificate or documentation on ancestry.com

I've contacted Crediton records office for any help but as there was a fire there at some point most records were destroyed.  I can't remember why I thought Nathaniel Haydon was not Anne's father but there was a reason !   

That's as far as I could get I'm afraid but hopefully there will be another lead at some point  ???

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 February 13 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hollytree and Elizlloyd,
I think your best avenue is to visit your nearest LDS family history centre, and order in the microfilm for Crediton parish registers (there is one of a transcript, which is better than nothing).
Your other option is to somehow access the PR's at the Devon Record Office, either in person or via a researcher. I don't think you can continue much further via the internet without confirmation. That is not to say that the original registers will confirm or deny any of your possibles, but it is highly likely you will be able to make some progress.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline HOLLYTREE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 February 13 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply, I have tried various websites and emails in the past including the Devon records office email to try and find a researcher to help me but I have not have a response, do you know of email address or website relevant to the area that may be able to help me on this ?

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 February 13 00:42 GMT (UK) »
If you are seeking a researcher to go to to the Devon RO in Exeter (where the Crediton PR's are held), you would be best suited to look in any of the genealogy magazines. I have done this in the past, with success. You will need to find one close to Exeter, as they may charge for travelling. Try contacting a couple for their fee structures up front; be as specific as you can with what you require. Then, depending on how you want their results, they can send hard copy or e-mail. It is a bit expensive to get photocopies/images of the original records.
Alternatively, the Devon RO does sell microfiche copies of the PR's, at 2 pounds 50 a fiche.

I hope this helps.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 February 13 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pinefamily and Hollytree

First of all Pinefamily thanks for your information about seeking a researcher to go to Devon Record Office, by looking at genealogy magazines, seems a good idea, which might be one way forward or I might go to my  local library today to see if they can help, and get them to order in the Crediton parish records as you mentioned in your earlier post is covered with a microfilm of PR transcripts 1558-1843, also im keen to find out more information about John Haydon why he married in Newton St Cyres, to Sarah Glandvill and not crediton. ? and generallly find out more information on the Haydon line as its all new to me.

Also might even take a trip to DRO in Exeter this year to look for myself. Once Ive done this will happily repost on here with information I have found, if any :-)

Will also post on here once Ive see the Crediton PR transcripts microfilm ordered from Library when it comes

Appreciate your help pinefamily and Hollytree,

Regards

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline HOLLYTREE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 February 13 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizlloyd, that would be fabulous, I live offshore in the Channel Islands so not easy for me to travel to places.  As we both seem to be 4th gt grandchildren of Thomas Sharland and Ann Haydon I think we are probably related in some distant way ! 

As far as I have got is that John Haydon and Rachel Edbury were John Haydon's parents (spouse Sarah Glandvill) but just cannot actually prove which John Haydon is which there was one born in Crediton in 1715 (most likely but name is spelt Heydon father George Heydon 1695 and mother Mary Ward 1685, no information at all on George's parentage I'm afraid) but there were also two John Haydon's born in Kenton Devon around about 1713 and 1719 so of course they could be possibilities. 

Look forward to updates if you manage to unravel this mystery, I was always hoping when I started this that our John Haydon would in some way be related to the Haydon's of Ottery St Mary and of course that meant being related to Joanne Paulet wife of Robert Haydon,  Joane Paulet's parentage can easily be traced right back to Henry II and beyond but I think that is being a little hopeful, all I've ever found is that my ancesters were ag lab's and servants !!!   oh and that my mum and dad are actually distant cousins from the same Exmoor family from the 1600's :D  :D

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 February 13 00:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a third option. Apparently the Westcountries Studies Library (next door to the Devon RO in Exeter) also has a transcript of the Crediton PR's. Maybe you can contact them regarding searches and prices.
Hollytree, Are you related to Haydon's from Ottery St Mary? I am pretty sure there is some connection with Haydon's and my Pine/Pyne's from there. Will check and get back to you.
Elizlloyd, regarding Newton St Cyres, I am not sure exactly why, but it seems to have been quite common for people to marry there, when they were from elsewhere. Maybe because of its location.

Offline HOLLYTREE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 February 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi pinefamily, I've tried to find a link between my Haydon's of Crediton and the Haydon's of Ottery St Mary as the towns are so close, so far I have been unsuccessful but I would love to think they are related it would be fun to have a link to royalty even if it is very very small !  Maybe my Haydon's are some distant cousins of the grand Haydon's of Devon (probably disgraced or something) ! 

Joane Paulet who was Robert Haydon's wife was the daughter of Sir Knight Amias Paulet who was a favourite of Queen Elizabeth and she appointed him as the jailer of Mary Queen of Scots up to her execution.  His portrait hangs in the National Gallery.

Joane's ancestors are easily traced back through to the Plantagenets, Richard and Lionheart, King John and King Henry II etc.   Coincidentally Robert and Joane Haydon's left Ottery St Mary and lived in Poulett (Paulet) Manor in Hinton St George Somerset which is a village very close to where I grew up.   

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 February 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have a very similar story, Hollytree. My Pine/Pyne's in Ottery St Mary have been traced back to the 1500's. In the 1600's, another Pyne family settled there from Somerset, and I have not been able to find a connection, despite the fact both families used the same unusual first name of Humphrey. One of the children of the Somerset family, Valentine Pyne, went on to become Master-Gunner of England under Charles II. There is a large memorial plaque to him in the Tower of London.