Author Topic: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre  (Read 51987 times)

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
Re: Joan ( Jackie ) Crooston of the Tranent Massacre
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 August 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

I just discovered that, mainly due to this discussion thread, I am also related to Jackie Crookston through my mother's side.

She is my 6th great aunt, the sister of Robert Crookston b.1780 my fifth great grandfather.

Their father James Crookston is my 6th great grandfather.

Also, the statue in Tranent of Jackie looks a bit like my Mother......

;)

Let me know if anyone wants details to add to their own tree.

All the best,

Alan Gow

Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 August 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

getting to be a small world now, that's great that you are related to her as well, could you please send the details you have please.

Where do you live Alan.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 August 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
Most of the Crookston genealogy I obtained from "The Crookston Family of Australia Home Page" by Peter Crookston :

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/r/o/Peter-Crookston/index.html  

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/r/o/Peter-Crookston/PDFGENEO1.pdf

You will see Jackie's niece Rosa Crookston(b.1812) married a fellow named James Anderson and Peter's tree ends there.

Rosa or Rosie or Rose Crookston and James Anderson had a son called George Anderson (1835-1876) who was a coach hirer according to his death cert but I have good reason to believe he also had a pub in Linlithgow High Street.

George married Isabella Beveridge and they had a son also called George (1861-1918). He married Mary Jane Murray and they had a daughter Isabella Anderson.

Isabella Anderson married William Burness McMeeking (himself related to the famous Burness family of NE Scotland that spawned a certain Robert Burness a.k.a. Rabbie Burns) and they had a daughter Joan McMeeking (my Granny).

Joan married John Rooney and their daughter Bridget is my mother, married to John Gow.

I am in Bo'ness, West Lothian and in many ways things have come full circle as Jackie's father James Crookston was born 9th January 1731/32 in Carriden, now in Bo'ness.

I haven't had a chance to verify Peter Crookston's tree but it looks pretty spot on with dates, etc. and I have no reason to dispute his accuracy. I haven't even had a chance to contact him yet.

If anyone wants copies of certs let me know?

Hope this is of interest.

AG

Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline irene784

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 October 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I found your posting quite by chance whilst trawling through the site.  I was intrigued to find my great great grandparents mentioned, James Young and Helen Wood.  Their daughter Janet married Thomas Clapperton in Loanhead in 1872 (my place of birth).

I am afraid I cannot shed any light on the connection with Joan Crookston, this is the first time I have ever heard of a massacre at Tranent!  I am now hooked on finding out more!

I do not have any hard evidence of Helen's mothers name as I haven't delved any further back yet.  I am pleased to learn she had a brother (William).  Where would I find information on him and other siblings? I have only found census details for Helen after she married James Young.

This possible Crookston connection has caused renewed interest in this line of my family tree.

Any little snippet anyone can give me on my family lines would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Irene
Clapperton, Young, Brown, Hogg, Bridges, Russell, Graham,Turnbull, Robson, Smith, McMahon,

Offline Oyama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 October 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene

My grandmother was the daughter of Archibald Tait Young ( Janet's brother) as was Archie the originator of this post.   I have the genealogy re. James Young and Helen Wood and would be happy to share all the info. with you.

Anita

Offline irene784

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 October 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Anita

I would greatly appreciate anything you can send me relating to the Wood and Young families.  This website is new to me so I am hoping I can find more information on my family history.
many thanks

Irene
Clapperton, Young, Brown, Hogg, Bridges, Russell, Graham,Turnbull, Robson, Smith, McMahon,

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 08:13 BST (UK) »
Irene

I see that Anita is going to give you information on James Young and Helen Wood, so you're in good hands.

Meanwhile, you might like to look at Archie's posting entitled "Archibald Young" which you'll find on page 2 of the Midlothian page.

Regards

David

Offline Oyama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Thank You for the vote of confidence.

Have sent an Ahnentafel Chart to Irene outling her family tree from Janet Young ( her ancestor) back as far as as I was able to find them in the records

Anita

Offline staceymaclennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 October 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
hi guys,m im writing on behalf of my sister, we have been doing some research on the killings of the tranent massacre, my sister is in a new build in tranent on the battlefield of where this happened and is/has experienced some strange activity in her home, she heard a little girl speak to her saying "i cant hear, i cant see" and a few things lik toys and doors etc have moved and just wondered if anyone nos of a little girl who died and of any names, we cant find much on the internet.

thanks

stacey,