Author Topic: Horsforth chapel Guiseley - Now complete with thanks  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Horsforth chapel Guiseley - Now complete with thanks
« on: Monday 20 October 14 08:48 BST (UK) »
Recently supplied the information of a John Hillas baptism record 1768 to a correspondant in USA.
(Information supplied via local library on microfiche record)
The person in USA has managed to locate additional information such as a possible location of father, [could it be from a BT (Bishops transcription)] but unable to decipher the complete entry.
My question being how would the entered parish record differ from a BT, and where could I view the original BT (or copy but not a transcription).
1768 10 30   John   Hillas       John           Labourer
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/HorsforthBaptisms1760-1779.html
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horsforth chapel Guiseley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
In theory the BT is an exact copy of the register, but mistakes happened: bits got missed out, or occasionally it seems that a few extra words of explanation may have been added. Where there is any doubt about an entry, it's always a good idea to try to look at both if possible.

The original BTs for Guiseley (as it would have been at that date, even though the registers are separate) are at the Borthwick Institute in York. Those for Yorkshire were filmed by the LDS and used as the basis for the IGI; the films can be ordered in and viewed at LDS family history centres, but other libraries and archives also sometimes have copies. It might be worth contacting Leeds Central Library or the WYAS Leeds branch to see if they have them; the Yorkshire Archaeological Society might also be worth a try.

If you can't get to any of those, another option would be the LDS's free reproduction service, whereby they will copy an entry from one of their films and send it to you by email. There is more information on this at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
The BTs from the Borthwick are now available on Findmypast.  Just had a quick look at the image on there and there is no additional information - just John son of John Hillas  (looks a bit like Hillous) Lab.

Pinetree

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 October 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
That is correct Pinetree, is there anything on location following labourer.
[Bearing in mind I have a copy of the complete book of records for Guiseley, just don't have the bit on Horsforth chapel.]
 Brian

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 October 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
Brian,

Well please ignore my previous post - just looked again, and there is indeed more information just under the word Lab - "from Harwood".

More haste less speed - I do apologise  :-[

Pinetree

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
The BTs from the Borthwick are now available on Findmypast.

Glad you've sorted this, with a slightly more helpful set of answers than I gave earlier! After checking that there was no image of the BT at FamilySearch, I completely forgot that they have now started to appear at FindMyPast.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the pm, both documents received and viewed o'k :) :)
 Brian