Author Topic: A dead end in Carlow? [Fitzgerald]  (Read 14044 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A dead end in Carlow? [Fitzgerald]
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Dathai,

1864 is a little early for the Ann Fitzgerald I am looking for so probably not her but thanks for looking.

Cheers
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 April 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
You say too early, it is common when tracing ancestors to be out by 10 years even more sometimes ,however there is a George Fitzgerald and Sarah Robinson with one son recorded in Carlow 1860s on Family Search.This does not necessarily mean he was their only child.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 April 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have seen the George Fitzgerald/Sarah Robinson family and have tried to piece the rest of the family together but cannot find any indication of Anne being there yet.

Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 April 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm just wondering if you have Anne's marriage cert and it says her father was George does it say where he was from? Also, is her mother listed as Bridget and if so is her last name given as Fitzgerald or something else? Lastly,did Anne emigrate from Ireland or reside there all her life? I think maybe there may be another way of going at this,Kim

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 April 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,

Unfortunately the marriage cert does not say where George was from just that he was a labourer.

The census indicate that Anne was born between 1868 and 1870 in County Carlow. I ordered the birth cert of the likeliest candidate which had her born to Bridget Fitzgerald(no father) in 1867 in the Union Workhouse. I then saw a death of Anne Fitzgerald in 1870 aged 3 and ordered that one which had a death recorded in the Fever Hospital in Carlow. So I am not sure if the birth cert was right or not.

I don't think Anne emigrated before 1911, her husband died in 1914 and I cannot trace a death for her after that date so not sure what happened to her. Her daughter my grandmother Sarah Bridget emigrated to England between 1911 and 1923.

Regards
Sean

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 April 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
Sean,one last question.What was Anne's married name and her husbands first name? Kim

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 April 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
Anne Fitzgerald married Thomas White in 1894 in Leighlinbridge, County Carlow.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 April 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
Are there any Fitzgerald witnesses on her marriage cert

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 April 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
If you haven't done so, I suggest you contact the parish priest in Leighlinbridge and ask what is recorded in the register for the marriage. If Anne was born to a single mother, the register may indicate this.