Author Topic: Jonathon Johnston & Margaret O'Neil  (Read 5961 times)

Offline AlexEllen1870

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jonathon Johnston & Margaret O'Neil
« on: Sunday 19 January 14 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm looking for any information on my Great Grandmother's family. Her name was Ellen Johnston & her parents are the couple listed above.

Ellen would've been born c.1848 and gives her birthplace as Carlow, Ireland. I have no other details available other than to add that she emigrated to Australia around 1856. Her Death Certificate states that she was in Australia 27 years and died 21 Jan 1883 aged just 35. I'm guessing she came here with family but I haven't been able to confirm with who or when.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you may be able to offer with my search.

Peter

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathon Johnston & Margaret O'Neil
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just wonder are you sure the county was Carlow? I only ask as I could locate one John Johnson in Carlow in Griffiths Valuation during the 1848-1864 time period but no Jonathan Johnstons.The only two Jonathan Johnstons I found were in county Down and county Cork.

Offline AlexEllen1870

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blemdookie,
Thanks for replying to my post. The only details I have mention Carlow.
Is it possible Jonathon was also known as John?
I'm just starting on my Irish research so please forgive my ignorance :-)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that Ellen's father wasn't listed in Griffith's Valuation if the family left for Australia c1856. Have you not been able to find her parents or other relatives in Australian records? (possibly in same area where Ellen lived)

Does her father's name (Jonathan) come from her marriage record? or just her death record? or elsewhere? and where does the mention of 'Carlow' originate?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AlexEllen1870

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I've had no luck at all looking for any of Ellen's family.
Jonathon is listed as John on Ellen's Marriage certificate and Jonathon on her Death certificate.
I have no idea where 'Cavan' comes from.

Peter

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 January 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter, I went onto the site www.bdm.nsw.gov.au and found this death:

Death:
Jonathan Johnson
died:1882
died:Gladesville
district:Ryde
reg # 7404

I know the age is off but many times you find the Irish ages change on every record. I looked at deaths for Margaret but there are too many to know which is her without more info.Even where she lived might help narrow field. Also have you tried Ellen's marriage cert? They also have those on this site. They had 7 between 1850-1883 but without husband's name,I didn't know which was hers. You could try to get these certs which may have more info for you and then go from there. Let me know if I can help more,Kim

Offline AlexEllen1870

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 January 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,
Ellen's Death certificate from 1883 says she was in South Australia for 1 year & Victoria for 26 years. This was the answer given by her Husband to the question: ...and how long in the Australian Colonies, stating which.

Considering this, her meeting & marriage to my Great x2 G'father in 1870 in Melbourne and the birth of all children here as well, I suspect that Ellen & parents may have got of the boat in South Australia. Perhaps they didn't like Adelaide & heard better things about Melbourne? Unfortunately, Victorian records hold more details than those from S.A.

The informant on Ellen's D.C was her Husband but not all info given is accurate. He states that they were married in St.Kilda when in fact I have a copy of the certificate from the Marriage in Melbourne. Robert also doesn't mention the 3rd born child, Margaret (she died as an infant).

Thanks again for your help Kim

Peter

Offline AlexEllen1870

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I've had new information come to hand regarding my Gt x3 Grandparents. John & Margaret.

After some time spent in researching South Australian Passenger Lists, I may have narrowed it down to the ship 'Velocity' that sailed from London 7th March & Plymouth 23rd March 1855, arrived Port Adelaide, South Australia 24th June 1855.

It is listed as the 22nd ship from England to S.A with Government Passengers for 1855.

Listed under 'Families' is:
Johnson, John 48 Labourer Carlow
Johnson, Mary 47
Johnson , Ellen 10

This fits the bill as far as the age of Ellen is concerned. I'm a little baffled as to the age of her parents though given there is no mention of other children either younger or older.

Also listed in this ship's passenger list under 'Single Men' is:

Johnson, James 25 Labourer Carlow

And under 'Single Women':
Johnson, Anne 14 Servant Carlow
Johnson, Bridget 23 Servant Carlow
Johnson, Catherine 21 Servant Carlow
Johnson, Mary 19 Servant Carlow.

I wonder if these Johnson's listed as Single Men & Women are cousins?

I'd also be interested to know what may have transpired in Carlow at the time to convince many families to uproot for another land half a world away! How would they have travelled from Carlow to London or Plymouth? Is Plymouth more likely?

Is anyone looking for a missing John Johnston or a Margaret O'Neil they're not sure what happened to?

Where should I be looking for information on these two?

I'm very new to Irish research so any advice from those in the know will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Peter Murray
Melbourne, Australia

PS. Can someone tell me how to change my thread title from Jonathon to read John?