Author Topic: James MUNN of Comber  (Read 14884 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James MUNN of Comber
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 February 12 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Bridgett and his wife had children  {Joseph may have had a brother James also in Comber civil parish
From Ros Davies website
Miss   Agnes   BRIDGET  Comber daughter of Joseph Bridget; married Robert Hewit 10 Apr 1852 ; mother of William b. 1871   CR
David   BRIDGET Comber son of Joseph Bridget; married Jane Scott 6 Sep 1851 ; father of David b. 14 Dec 1867 & William b. 28 Nov 1870 & Robert b. 24 Dec 1872   CR
Miss   Ellen   BRIDGET Newtownards & Comber   daughter of Joseph Bridget; married Isaac Munn 15 Jan 1847 in Newtownards ; mother of twins, Ellen & Agnes b. 1868   CR
Miss   Jane   BRIDGET Comber daughter of James Bridget ; married John Black 15 Nov 1854; mother of female child b. 1865   CR

Ellen Munn official death registration exists 1826-1868 see familysearch.com A memorial stone might exist within Comber and Newtownards.

Did you see the Hewitt and Munn references on Ros Davies. She also keeps list of peoples interests. And lists of available church records etc

I turned up the following  note which may have gone onto the Irish Caora website sadly presently defunct. 
“In April 02, Julie Munn [*] with her husband was I think possibly proving his descent from your James Munn, , see try Genforum and here of course on Caora see the good listing by Hugh McCartney etc.   About that time Maree Moore privately supplied me Munn references.   One of the cousins might be Elizabeth Munn d 1861 of Ballyalloly,  wife of  my ggg Wm Gracey 1769-1840. Try contact with Julie Munn substituting @ sign for the at in her email above first and later me direct. My research stopped about then, and then my uncles missing papers mostly researched 1953-4, were rediscovered in 2004 eg Commander James Whitla Gracey archive.  First draft 24 March 2004
Envelope G ; Gracey questionnaires
1. Information;The family of Gracey of Ballyaltikilligan; R Middleton replies eg 2foolscap includes the Wm Gracey plate on railing
2. CJWG has questions on Munn
3. CJWG has questions on marriages 1830-1855
4. Wanted marriage certificate  for Wm G and Eliz Munn, reward for any male Gracey marriage between 1683-1800 [ Jim notes warning signals about variant spellings eg Mun].  Regretfully there are no answers recorded for his Munn queries.
I suggest try contacting Julie Munn see top line, substituting @ sign for the at in her email and later me direct. I think there is another Munn researcher at Ulster Historical foundations listings of members interests.Do share your results please, Regards Jim”
I don’t know if I got any reaction. I attempted to keep hard copy of all my gracey interest so Hugh MacCartney and Marie Moore references might exist in my store

Further checking my uncles indexs
Munn   Elizabeth   ABT 1780/1805   18 Jun 1861   x   Jim's gen 8   
Munn   Elizabeth   Wanted marriage certificate  for Wm G and Eliz Munn, reward for any male Gracey marriage between 1683-1800      . G   4
Munn   Mathew? born about 1780- 1805 Ballyalloly? xJim's gen 8   
Munn      CJWG has questions on Munn       . G   2
I think a R Middleton or church sexton replied to my uncle on a 2page letter but in general about the Ballyaltikilligan townland. He might have mentioned the Munn family. The original letter is with my cousin Tim Gracey and also in his storage, so nothing quickly available to you.

Finally did you try my ‘ directory ‘on the Comber Historical Societys website  If you want more recent Munns the 1901 and 1911 free census are most useful

Have you tried genforum and rootsweb for Munn message boards
If you think I can help I would be happy to try to do so.
Good luck onwards and well done for getting so far.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hewittmandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thank you so much for all the extra information! I'll pop it all into my tree and see if I can keep the connection between the Hewitt's and Munn's of Comber going further :-)

Best Regards,

Mandy

Offline Hilary Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 January 13 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  I am a Great grandaugter of James Munn, Blacksmith, Comber, who lived in High Street.
Is there any connection to your James Munn.

Hilary

Offline Hilary Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 July 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I am related to James Munn, Blacksmith, Comber.  Please get in touch.

Offline Apen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 August 13 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if this is a connection but just happened to notice that alongside my gt grandfather's obituary in Belfast Newsletter dated Jan 13th 1904 there is one inserted by a James Munn for his wife, "Mary M Long, died Jan 11th at her residence Mont Cecil, Bloomfield, dearly beloved wife of James Munn. Her remains will be removed for interment in Comber Cemetery this Wed afternoon at 2 o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. James Munn"

Perhaps it means something to those of you researching Munns of Comber.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Just to let you know what familytree is currently having problems getting notifications due to email problems, we have found her and just sent a message to let her know of your new replies :D

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 September 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sarah, should be useful to us all
best regards for doing the difficult, JimG
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 August 14 13:03 BST (UK) »
I recently noticed PRONI has D654/R/2/1  title 'A copy of the rent roll of Comber for the year 1684 sent to Sir John Temple sent to Sir John Temple by Mr Robert Maxwell..Towards the end there is an entry {Ballyalti} Killigan James Curry and James McMunn hold by minut for 41 years from Allsaints 1679 rent and tyth yearly 05:07:[ ] with Dutys one rough wedder.  I think this is the earliest Munn of Comber reference I have seen, as it is known the McMunn came from Scotland and their name changed to Munn.
worldwide