Author Topic: ORR & YOUNG  (Read 21467 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ORR & YOUNG
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 May 13 09:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry... but there's more....

"Edward (Ted) Young, Dundonald, his blacksmiths shop behind the Central Inn closed 1900"
(this could be Tedford- if he was known as 'Ted' then perhaps it was assumed Ted was a nickname for Edward rather than shortened version of Tedford)

Photo of Dundonald Church of Ireland burial ground-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cleland_Mausoleum.jpg

An interesting site for Dundonald which I'd not seen before- the church in the photo is the old St. Elizabeth's Parish Church which is where your ancestors seem to have been members-
http://www.dundonaldrail.co.uk/dundonald.htm
Another bit about St. Elizabeth's-
http://revpatrickcomerford.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/a-visit-to-stormont-and-dundonald.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:30 BST (UK) »
Possible birth for Jemima Young (daughter of Tedford Young & Mary Shaw)-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBWW-535
Brother Edgar Young (1891)? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB6W-DZH

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 May 13 12:38 BST (UK) »
Jane (Young) Cairns might have gone to Scotland then Ireland then to U.S. but this is not yet proven.

1870 census- New York, New York
James Cairns 30 Ire. hackdriver; Jane Cairns 30 Ire.; Mary A. Cairns 9 Ire.; William J. Cairns 7 Ire.; James Cairns 5 Scot.; Samuel Cairns 3 Ire.; Jane Cairns 1/2 NY.

1880 census- Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
James Cairns 40 Ire. teamster; wife Jane Cairns 42 Ire.; dau. Mary Cairns 18 Ire. nursing; son William Cairns 16 Ire works at gold plating; son James Cairns 14 Scot.; dau. Jennie Cairns 8 NY; son Samuel Cairns 7 NY; son George Cairns 2 Penn.

1900 census- Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana (1920 census gives 1866 as date to U.S.)
James Cairns Oct.1865 Scot.; wife Nellie 30, son Harold 9, son Albert J. 2; dau. Jennie 7.

Wonder if George Shepherd Cairns, bapt.1878 Pittsburgh, parents James & Jane is the 2 year old George Cairns in 1880 census?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V2FT-5YH

Offline maggiemay13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 May 13 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am in Ireland so know the geography.  Stunned at the pace this search is going now.  100 yrs in under 24 hrs and all while I am still learning how to communicate on this site.
I had found your Tedford family in census/street directories and speculated they were connected because of business (i.e. Livery Stables and Postry needed Blacksmiths) and location of residences.  However it seems the Tedford/Thetford name comes the christian name of maternal GG; from another family a few miles further up the road.
Still plenty of research to do though so you never know what might come up.
Our families would at least have known each other as my g.grandfather was a postman.

Hope you make progress soon.
MM

Offline maggiemay13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 May 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,
All this is amazing.  I know the old church and have just sent a message off to the Parish office to arrange to check out memorials etc.  The links etc are great too but worry I am getting more than I can cope with just now.  I need to pursue the Orr (McElrath?) line.  The blog has a reference to a soldier called McElrath.  Maybe there is a connection.  I also found John & Jane McIlrath in Killinchy which might be in the mix somehow.
Also my husbands father suggested he was related to Orr's of Farranshane ("Remember Orr") They were farmers involved with linen but sons may also have trained as smiths.  That is quite a way from Dundonald but Tedford Orr's brother William John did work as a mill manager in a mill owned by a friend of Co. Antrim Orr's.  Apologies for rambling on.
MM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 May 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
Will probably take a while for it all the sink in, maggiemay, but not sure where you want to go with the search next.

Various branches can probably/possibly be traced further (especially those in U.S.) but without checking church records and other resources not online it will probably be difficult to get further back on the Young side. We could try sorting out the Orrs, of course, but Robert's father with a different surname might cause difficulties...

PRONI do have records for Dundonald C. of I. and this list indicates that at least some of the records start 1811-
http://irelandgenealogyprojects.rootsweb.ancestry.com/Old/coirecs.html

Added- was typing as you were posting so some of this overlaps what you've just written

Offline maggiemay13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 May 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
I will get to Proni sometime in the next month and was planning to look at records for Ballymaccarrett Presbyterian based on earlier plan.  I will also check out Dundonald.  Meantime a focus on the origins of Robert Orr and anything on Tedford Orr marriage/children would be good.  I have his war record and have written to Superintendent at Drumee for details of his death and also the burser of SS Strathaird for 1952 trip to Tilbury. One thought he may have married while in England and my speculation of Sparkes and wife surname is based on son's details S S Orr 1914-1966.
Hope that helps.
Thanks again.
MM
I will be away for a few days now but check in again some evening next week.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 May 13 16:52 BST (UK) »
Birth certificate for either of Tedford Orr's sons will list mother's maiden name. Sparkes may have been a family name (not nec. Elizabeth's maiden name) or she might have been widowed when marrying Tedford.

Had a look for a mariage in England using just surname Orr for 1901/1925 but nothing likely shows up. Wonder if they did actually get married (remember Sidney claiming he might be illegitimate) or if the marriage took place somewhere other than England or Wales.

Offline maggiemay13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 May 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
Wonder if they did actually get married
We had similar thoughts?  Another line of speculation took me to Sparkes 1901 census in Spamont street and 1911 with Bowman in Wellington Place both Belfast.  Several Sparkes died from Spamont Street or nearby (buried in Belfast City Cemetery).  ELizabeth 4/10/1895 age 7, Sydney aged 18 months in 1898 and one called William aged 16 in 1898 and others.
This may or may not be relevant to the search.
Many thanks again.
Hope you get time off for the bank hols.
Enjoy
MM