Author Topic: Keegan family Knockeen, Liscolman Parish, Townland of Shillelagh, Co Wicklow  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Keegan family Knockeen, Liscolman Parish, Townland of Shillelagh, Co Wicklow
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 11:10 GMT (UK) »

This is my first venture into the Wicklow thread - my previous research being focused on Kerry and Dublin - so, Happy New Year to you all!

I am trying to find a birth / baptism record for my 2x great grandfather Patrick KEEGAN. In 1901, he is living in Faddle's Alley, Dublin with his 80 year old widowed mother, Mary, his wife, Jane nee Nolan and 7 children.

His prison 1902 Kilmainham Jail record gives his DoB / PoB as 1862(estimated year) in Knockeen, Liscolman Parish, Townland of Shillelagh, Co Wicklow.

The 1901 census gives his age as 45 (which would be 1856) however the 1911 census gives his age as 48 (which is a close match).

Additionally, I'm looking for his marriage to Jane NOLAN (b abt 1864, possibly in Ballivor, Meath). Date of marriage abt 1883. Given that their first child, Andrew, was born 1884 and listed on the census as City of Dublin, I can't be sure where the marriage took place.

Thank you in advance for your time and any suggestions or clues pointing me in the right direction.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keegan family Knockeen, Liscolman Parish, Townland of Shillelagh, Co Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Liscolman civil parish is in the RC parish of Clonmore. Their baptism records are on a pay to view site. However I can’t see Patrick born 1858 plus or minus 10 years listed on that site. (There was a Catherine Keegan b 1861, James 1862 and Bridget 1864, all in that parish). There’s a copy of the parish records in the National Library in Dublin, should you wish to look at them yourself.
Elwyn

Offline sarabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Keegan family Knockeen, Liscolman Parish, Townland of Shillelagh, Co Wicklow
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I did find a Patrick Keegan born in 1855 in Hacketstown RC parish in Wicklow.  I included his mother's name(Mary) in the search….Hacketstown is relatively close to Shillelagh.  I found this on the Irish Family History Website(pay site).  I couldn't find a marriage record..

Sara C.

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

Elwyn,  I'll keep those names in mind and if they come up as possible siblings I will investigate further. Being in Melbourne, Australia, I won't be in Dublin any time soon.

Sara, I'll note that year and placename and see if it comes up anywhere else in the family line.

Much appreciated.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Anneile

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 July 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Nettie, Has just registered on the site as I saw your queries on the Keegans of Knockeen, and I have been researching them for a good few years. I live in Ireland and have searched through the Registers of BMD and can find no trace of births or marriages for either Patrick or Jane Nolan. The people in Hacketstown in Carlow are not the same though they may be related. I haven't given up on finding them and would really like to know which line of the family you are on. Ann