Author Topic: William PEARCE of Innerleithen  (Read 34547 times)

Offline terrys

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
William PEARCE of Innerleithen
« on: Friday 10 June 05 06:15 BST (UK) »
i am looking for info on William and Sarah Pearce of miller street innerleithen and of William Pearce and sons aerated water factory info i have is as follows                   William Pearce  -my great-great grandfather was born somewhere in england married Sarah Clarke who was also born in england in dumbarton in 1865 then they moved to innerleithen in 1868 where they they had 8 children 1 girl Alice and 7 boys over the next 20 years Williams parents were Richard and Ann, Sarah's parents were William and Alice (edgley) i think Sarah may have been born in wigton any info would be most welcome    Terry's
pearce ,anderson,saunderson,clarke,smith,mcveigh

Offline evelyn r

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: william pearce of innerleithen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

You could look at www.innerleithen.org.uk. It does not mention William Pearce but I am sure that if you sent a message they could give you at least the history of the company and possibly details of the Pearce family.  Good luck!
Evelyn
I am sorry but my emails are not working.
Rose, Nicol. Thomson, Dow, Johnston(e), Miller, Lillie, Stewart - Scotland
Braithwaite, Kemp - Yorkshire

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: william pearce of innerleithen
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 05 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Terrys
You say, and it's on Census 1881 for them in Innerleithen, Peeble that Sarah CLARK was born in England, dau of William CLARK and Alice EDGLEY.

Have you seen the IGI marriage for Alice EDGLEY to Wm CLARK
Marriage:  04 APR 1834   Of Ramsey, , Hampshire, England ?

This is the present day business William Pearce & Sons, do you have this?
W Pearce and Sons
Miller Street
Innerleithen
Peebles
EH44 6QS
Tel: 01896 830324
Director - Alex J Simister
http://www.applegate.co.uk/results/11/95/953.htm
http://regionalfoodanddrink.co.uk/directory/additional_information.php?selector=1752
Suppliers of natural mineral water
since 1870

Regards  :)
Anne

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline joannes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William PEARCE of Innerleithen
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terrys,

William Pearce is my husband's great-great grandfather as well.  Our line starts with Alice.  I am waiting to get more info, so when I do I will let you know!  What line does your family descend from?  One of the brothers?  So far I only know of two brothers who came out to Canada, Jim and Ned Pearce.

Joanne

Offline learmond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 07 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I think I may be a relative, my grandmother was Isabella Pearce  who married Alexander Learmond in Innerleithen,  they had 11 children. I was told my great uncle was the Pearce who had the lemonade business.   I am also in possession of a picture of the first lemonade lorry in Innerleithen.    I have birth certificates if you wish to view.

Please let me know if this is of any help.

rgds,
Jean
Shirrefs and Gordons of Craig Castle Rhynie, Aberdeenshire/Shirrefs

Offline daprid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 December 08 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information of a Petrie family who had connections with the McVeigh family and Peebles. My father, Chester Petrie (born USA 1919) had a picture of "Cousin Hubert McVeigh, R.A.F." standing with a crew of a Hawker Henley target towing plane in WWII.

My gg grandfather, David Petrie (born 3 Sep 1804 Drumhendrie, Parish of Fettercairn, Kincardineshire & died 23 Jul 1877 Braefoot, Carnoustie, Barry, Angus) married Mary Steele "Peebles" [Peeblesshire?] 12 Jun 1830 St. Cyrus Parish, Kincardineshire.

They had a son, James Petrie (born 6 Nov 1841 County Forfar, St. Vigeans Parish "Peebles" [Peeblesshire?],  Arbroath)

Any connections or information would be much appreciated - thank you.

David Petrie
Arden Hills, Minnesota, USA

Offline Andrew M Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather was frederick pearce who was a son of richard and ann pearce and so a brother of william he was born in chatham in kent, england so william was most probably born there too.  I knew i had some family connection to the pearce lemonade business in Innerleithan but wasn't sure of the link till i read this thread i hope this has been some help.

Offline gmather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this thread is being tracked any more, but anyways, I too am a descendant of William Pearce. My great-great-grandfather was Winfred Stuart Pearce, married Margaret Lamont (I believe from the Dunoon area, b1871). Their daughter, Grace Jane Pearce, born 1903 in Galashiels was married to Harry Hobson, born 1895 in the Leeds area. My mother, Margaret Hobson, born 1938 in Peebles married William Brian Mather, born 1939 in Galashiels.

After many years, my mother and father are actually now living in Innerleithen and stay just a few blocks from where it all began.

From the stories my father tells, the lemonade business had something to do with the Clapertons, apparently the name Claperton didn't fit on the label so it became Pearce's Lemonade. Not sure how true that is.

Offline Andrew M Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather William D Pearce was a nephew of William Pearce who owned the Lemonade business from my mother's distant memory she can recall that one of the female Pearce's married into the Clapperton family hence their involvement in the business she can also vaguely remember some of the family visiting her Grandfather in Glasgow in the 1950's.

From what I can make out the Pearce family migrated to Scotland to spread the word of their religion the Catholic Apostolic Church my great great grandfather Frederick brother of William of the Lemonade business was listed in an early census as being a papal preacher at the young age of 14, one of my mothers uncle's remained a member of this church till his death in the early 1980's.

William and Fred's father Richard was the well keeper of St ronan's well innerleithan as far back as 1867 his father also Richard was born in 1775 in the village of East Peckham, Kent hope this info is off interest.