Author Topic: Peter Rice - Greenock  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Phingask

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Rice - Greenock
« on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to trace the parents of Peter Rice born c1825 in East Greenock. I've got his marriage in 1845 but the parish records do not show his parents.

He's in the census from 1861 up until 1891, in the last one, living with his married daughter Elizabeth Gillan. He was still alive when one of his daughters got married in 1894 and must have died between 1894 and 1901. I was hoping to get his parents name from his death certificate but I can't find it in Scotland's People. I've also tried the areas that some of his family moved to, including Northern Ireland, but with no success.

Does anyone know this family or can anyone explain why there doesn't seem to be a record of his, or his wife's death?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Rice - Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Phingask , welcome to RootsChat  :)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYW6-SQY

There is a death record for a Mary Ann Rice(other surname McFarlane) 1892 Greenock Renfrew , but the birth year is 1835.  :-\

ev

ADDED -
Peter Rice, rafter, father of Elizabeth Gillen, died at 5 Dellingburn Square, Greenock on 14th
January 1902 (Greenock Telegraph 16.1.1902)

Mary Ann McFarlane, wife of Peter Rice, died at 43 Holmscroft Street, Greenock 15th October
1892(Greenock Telegraph 15.10.1892).

https://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/education-and-learning/libraries/local-and-family-history/family-history/intimations
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Phingask

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi ev,

Wow, where did that information come from! I've got the death certificate now and it's definitely the right person, although his age seems to be 10 years out. It refers to his daughter Elizabeth Gillan and his wife Mary Ann McFarlane. I was misled by the fact that I couldn't find him in the 1901 Census, so hadn't checked for his death later than that. It has also now given me the names of his parents - so I should hopefully be able to work back further.

I'm sure the death of Mary Ann is also correct as the address is consistent with the 1891 Census.

Brilliant, thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 05:29 BST (UK) »
One of mine had his birth year 10 years out on the death certificate.

The information was found here -
https://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/education-and-learning/libraries/local-and-family-history/family-history/intimations

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records