Author Topic: McCALLION.  (Read 52990 times)

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCALLION.
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 30 August 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
dear steve campbell,

it is very confusing and i am still trying to figure it out.
mary riley (aka mae aka may ) married a james h dever in san francisco. i do not have either
of their death dates.
mary was born circa 1864 in california -- not certain if it were a sf birth.
father thomas riley
mother elisa nee fallon
both ireland born.

mr dever was a fire captian in the richmond district, and i believe that he was born in ireland as well.

thank you for your reply!

Inez

Our Mary Dever was born in Donegal in 1866 and died in SF in 1925.  She is buried with her husband Hugh Dever (1867-1917) at Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma.  Her maiden name was McCallion, hence our interest.

It's confusing because there are five Mary Devers buried in Holy Cross.  However, I see that there is a James Dever (d. 1915) and a Mary E. Dever (d. 1940) buried together.  Are these your ancestors?

Steve Campbell

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 30 August 14 23:27 BST (UK) »
dear steve again,,
it is so sweet that james  d 1915 and mary d 1940
are buried together.
it touches my heart very deeply to think that this might be  my g-g -aunt
(gggrandmother's sister)

cheers and best wishes.

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 31 August 14 03:17 BST (UK) »
Inez

On further investigation, I realized that I had the wrong James & Mary Dever.  James H. Dever and Mary E. Dever are buried in Section L, Row 5, Graves 83 & 84.  James died on 7/15/1925 and Mary died on 4/23/1934.  Also buried there are son Raymond and daughter Romietta.  See www.sfgenealogy.com/php/cemetery/cemeteryindex.php to search. 

The 1920 San Francisco census shows:

James Dever       63 (b. ~1857, Ireland)     Messenger, Wells Fargo (after retirement?)
Mary Dever       55 (b. ~1865, California)  Homemaker
Bertrand Dever       30 (b. ~1890, California)  Pressman, Newspaper
Raymond Dever       27 (b. ~1887, California)  Electrician, Ferry Bld
Constance Dever   24 (b. ~1896, California)  Stenographer, Insurance Co
Romeatte Dever       22 (b. ~1898, California)  Stenographer, Insurance Co

Steve C.

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 02:11 BST (UK) »
steve,

thank you for this info!
these are my relatives!
how did you get the death dates?
and the plots?
this is super exciting. i've got the 1920 census report, and have put some stuff on ancestry dot com,
but it really is hard to track down other stuff.
mary (nee riley) dever's sister tessie josephine riley had my great grandmother gertrude elizabeth,
b 3 may 1888 san francisco, with her first husband -- who he is i cannot find!
oh, what the devers could tell me, and the bradys, and the cassidys.....
the journey is always rewarding when we all cross paths like this.

and i wonder what the mccallion connection is to the sf devers?
thanks heaps!

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Inez

I think that I've found the answer to your question about the father of Gertrude Elizabeth (b. 1888).  According to brendanalger who is the owner of the Ehrmann Family Tree on Ancestry.com:

"Theresa had a relationship and produced Gertrude. Theresa later married John Anthony Ehrmann. It is not known if John A. ever adopted Gertrude."

If you're still on Ancestry.com you could send him an e-mail, or if not, I could contact him for you.

Steve C.

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
hi steve,

yes , you did find it -- this is our collective family ancestry site!

but... we cannot find gertrude's true dad, tessie's first husband.
so many family secrets! like all families!
mark twain once remarked that he spent 25 dollars to research his family tree,
then he had to spend 50 dollars to cover it up.
but we want to know, and will continue to delve into these mysteries....

cheers!

Offline ferrfuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie
           Is the age correct, one can only hope :). I see 2 Daniels born within 8 years of each other born in Meedenmore and both with mothers called Moran (Morrin)  ???.  Anyway, I think I said before I am sure that the McCallions in and around Meedenmore, Glackmore, Gortnamona and Aught etc all share a common root but finding it is the key.

I am also sure that the Austarlian information is either wrong or incomplete. One indicator is the naming convention. i know it is not the best thing to use but when you look at how these familys use similar christian names for there children you can only wonder. The names Denis, Mary, Bridget, James and Anne keep croping up with almost boring regularity.

Going back to the Australian info, we are of a mind that some of that is wrong. As you well know Irish records are so bad that being able to put that together in the way it is must be called into question. I think it unlikley that whoever put this togther could easliy find links back to any Irish family to the 1600's. I am talking about the Doherty wing of this as the McCallion stuff is pretty certain as I have a copy of Bridget's death cert and it clearly states her parents were Denis McCallion and Mary Sweeney. the rest of whats there however is open to question i.e. where did the information come from the Mary Sweeney was from Milford and she was hired in Iskaheen some where etc.

Anyway onwards and upwards and lets see where this goes. any thoughts on who the other cousins could have been?

Patrick

McCallion was generally changed to Collins in Australia. Pretty sure I'm not related to your Australian McCallion relatives, even though they migrated on the same ship, but like my McCallion ancestors, all records have them as Collins circa 1846.
McCallion (Donacavey Pre 1900's), Rachel Woods-1793-1841 Fintona, Anne Gorman B:1813+/-(Co-Tyrone) Ann Colgan B;1822 Fintona, Owen McCallion/Collins B:1814-unknown assumed dead 1854/55 (?) Collins, Heffernan, Bateman, McMullen, Coman, Tarlinton, Foley (post 1843 Australia)

Offline ferrfuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, my names Nikki, in Australia. My Irish migrant ancestors were Patrick McCallion (Collins) Born:1793, Died: 3-9-1883. He Married in Fintona Co-Tyrone in 1813 (?) to Rachel Woods, Born 1792, Died 5-7-1878.
They migrated to Australia arriving in May 1841 with 8 children. John B:1819, Patrick B:1821, William B:1822, Phillip B:1826, Thomas B:1829, Peter B:1832, James B:1835, and Roseanne B:1839.
All children on death certificates/headstones and marriage certificates state they were of Fintona, Donacavey, Co-Tyrone.
However there was an Owen McCallion who remained in Ireland with wife Anne Gorman, who migrated to Australia following Owens death in 1854, with their 6 (?) living children.
McCallion (Donacavey Pre 1900's), Rachel Woods-1793-1841 Fintona, Anne Gorman B:1813+/-(Co-Tyrone) Ann Colgan B;1822 Fintona, Owen McCallion/Collins B:1814-unknown assumed dead 1854/55 (?) Collins, Heffernan, Bateman, McMullen, Coman, Tarlinton, Foley (post 1843 Australia)

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Nikki,

Welcome to Rootschat.  Well that's a new one on me .... from McCallion to Collins. 

You certainly have great information on your direct line from Co. Tyrone.  Good luck  :)
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.