Author Topic: Blyth versus Cowpen  (Read 48950 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth versus Cowpen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 06:40 BST (UK) »
PYofB,

The Cowpen "Township" contained from Bebside Colliery, Kitty Brewster, Cowpen Village, Malvins Close, Cowpen Quay, Waterloo etc.

The "border" of Cowpen and Blyth ran down Plessey Road, then northwards along Union Street to the river, behind  where Gasworks were .

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 07:04 BST (UK) »
 :)
I've never even been to Northumberland (I'm sincerely sorry to admit and hope to rectify one day sooner rather than later  ;)) and this is just a wild guess, so please don't shoot me down in flames, but would it have anything to do with the name? Simply cow pen doesn't sound as nice as Blyth?  :)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
You really should visit, Ruskie - best county ever (not that I'm biased, of course)

Although the place is called Cowpen round here it's pronounced Coopn (and, no, I didn't accidentally miss out the 'e') so we probably didn't even think of that one!

Christine

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
You really should visit, Ruskie - best county ever (not that I'm biased, of course)

Although the place is called Cowpen round here it's pronounced Coopn (and, no, I didn't accidentally miss out the 'e') so we probably didn't even think of that one!

Christine

Yes, I believe it is. And I am bursting to visit!  ;)

Coopn? ... I love this site, you learn something new every day  ;D Thanks for setting me straight. Do you think it ever may have been called cow ... pen?

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother lived in Coupon Pennsylvania, same pronunciation. It was also a coal town.  My guess is that there were some cowpenites that immigrated to Pennsylvania.  Interesting another town with same name--she was born in Seldom Seen, Pennsylvania - this is also the name of a village in Co. Durham.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, Ruskie, I'm sure there would have been a cow pen there at some point - lost in the mists of time, unless Michael can tell us different.  The local dialect for a cow is coo so that is probably where it came from.  But even folks without strong dialects call the place Coopn so the true meaning has got a bit lost.

Janis, I know a lot of people from around here went to Pennsylvania - obvious mining connection.  I love finding names like that cropping up in different countries - it makes you realise that they wanted to have a little bit of the old country with them.

Christine

Offline bobbychapman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 July 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael
My name is Bob Simmons and I was born and bred in Bebside, I currently run a website www.aboutblyth.co.uk which is mainly concerned with the Blyth area.
One of my passions is finding old pictures and then taking an up to date version.
I was very interested to notice your remarks abouth the local pubs in the Blyth town centre area, The Pineapple, Globe Swan etc.
I would be very grateful if you could allow me to show some of these pictures if you are in possession of any, or possibly put me in contact with someone who has.
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best regards

Bob Simmons

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 July 11 21:07 BST (UK) »

Bob,

I too was born Bebside, 1941, shifted to Cowpen Estate in 1951/2. Worked as " Boy Clerk" in Gas Board in Blyth 1958-1961. Then scooted off to London.
 I had a great interest in Blyth pubs, but unfortunately had no artistic or photographic skills. So I have no photos of Blyth.

The web site    communities.northumberland.gov.uk      in the Blyth section contains many photos of old Blyth.  Other Blyth photos are included in several local history books published a few years ago.

It was " pityackafromblyth" who raised the topic of Blyth pubs, I was only responding.

However there are a few "chatters" within this forum, who are keen on photos, so let's hope, you get a response from these fotoratti !

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 July 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Bob,

there is a 'Blyth History' thread here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,488089.msg3460481.html#msg3460481 why not try posting on there as well?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk