Author Topic: Windmill at Blyth?  (Read 14002 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Windmill at Blyth?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 October 14 00:57 BST (UK) »
I've just been mooching through my old Blyth photos - the other mill at Cowpen was Hodson's Mill.  There were buildings around that one but on one of the drawings I have there are buildings visible on the other side of the river.  Perhaps it was that one?

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 October 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
The windmill in the colour painting was the one that stood on Bucks Hill and the view is looking more or less north. The buildings on the far side of the water were probably The Brown Bear Inn which stood close to the waters edge and is of course long since gone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/10216194174/sizes/l/

Bucks Hill Mill was brought from the south by the Hodgsons, and Bucks Hill Mill and Hodgsons Mill were two different mills in two separate locations, though close together and separated by a gut and stream.

The Hodgsons sold the mill to the Avery family of North Shields and at some point in time after that, there was a dispute over the lease and Marlow Sidney who's land the mill stood on, wanted it removed from Bucks Hill. The mill was slid off the Sidney land, like launching a ship, by shipwrights to the water's edge which belonged to the Croft Estate where the mill stood until it was demolished in 1870. The Averys had the oak timbers taken to North Shields and made furniture from the wood. The central post of the mill bore the date 1630.

I have no idea where the mill came from originally. Only that it came from the south.

The painting obviously predates 1870 hence the differences between what buildings stood on the opposite side of the river back then in comparison to later times.

I shall go rummage through my old maps and see if I can find one which shows both mills extant at the same time.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 October 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that you have one - in fact I'm wondering whether I've seen it on this site??

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 October 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
A cutting from an old plan of the harbour dated 1872.

Hopefully this will help you piece it together.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 October 14 23:47 BST (UK) »
One other question though since I am not certain from the conversation as to whether we are talking about the correct mill picture as per Beamish.

Might this be the picture given you mentioned there being more houses?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/10217446663/in/set-72157641931957224

Crofton Mill was in a totally different location to Bucks Hill and Hodgson's Mill at Cowpen Quay. Re the picture description Crofton Mill stood on the site of the Crofton Pit.

It would be nice to have the original question clarified as to which mill we are talking about. I never heard that Beamish had any parts of a Blyth mill, and I think it most likely if any bits survive, that it would be Crofton Mill since I believe that one will have been demolished last, but that is a guess.

It would be great to be able to help Beamish out with this matter if they don't know themselves.

P

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 October 14 00:04 BST (UK) »
This image is of Bucks Hill circa 1913 with dredging taking place in the Upper Harbour for a turning area. Bucks Hill was cleared completely to make way for the Bates Loaders (1932 'ish) which themselves have now gone and been consigned to the history books.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/10217404016/in/set-72157641931957224

P

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 October 14 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify where I found the painting of the postmill I attach a link to Beamish Development and Engagement 2013 - 2025. The Blyth Mill reconstruction is mentioned on page 3 and the painting with the proposed site of the mill is shown on page 13
http://democracy.durham.gov.uk/documents/s33317/Item%203%20DEP%20Summary%202013-2025%20August%202013.pdf

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that pointer Kay99. The mill as pictured in that literature is definitely the one that stood on Bucks Hill to the north of Cowpen Square. It will be most interesting to watch their progress with it's reconstruction. Did they really say they had parts of it?

P

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
All the report mentions is the reconstruction at Blyth Mill as part of their future program.   However Gen List Lass did say that the museum had a windmill from Blyth