Author Topic: Dawsons of Durham  (Read 1581 times)

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dawsons of Durham
« on: Saturday 08 November 14 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hope someone can help. I am trying to find the missing piece of my Dawson family. Hugh Dawson was the son of Oliver and Jane Dawson. Oliver born 1792 Allendale  and Jane 1806 Shotley
They had Hugh who was born in 1829.His sister Hannah emigrated to the States with her husband George Herron and his 2 sisters Jane and Elizabeth along with youngest brother Oliver (My G G grandfather)and their 2 husbands emigrated to NZ there is no record of what happened to Hugh after Jane and Elizabeth emigrated which was about 1860 .In the 1851 census his occupation is coke burner.The family were living at Kenton Durham at this time. He was 22. I have found a marriage record of a Hugh Dawson marriage in 1862 in Hexham to a Elizabeth McGregor or another name of Tamar Dickinson and I know Hexham is an area where my Dawson Ancestors lived .Another census record is of a Hugh and Elizabeth living in Staffordshire. in 1871 and occupation is Coal miner . I am assuming Coke burner and coal miner are a connected occupation. Just unsure if this is the Hugh that I am looking for as it has got Staffordshire as place of birth but his age at time of census matches. Hope this all makes sense. I know what has happened to all the siblings except this one. I am wanting to find the final chapter of this generation of Dawson's Thanks for any help Hereford
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dawsons of Durham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 14 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1858 death of Hugh Dawson in Auckland registration district?

The 1851 shows the family living in Tow Law, which is less than 10 miles away.

Added: The Hugh Dawson who married Tamar Dickinson in 1862 was a Joiner and the son of Joseph Dawson.  You may find this page helpful (includes certificates): http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rykbrown/dawson.htm#Whiteley Shield
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 November 14 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The marriage you quote looks to be to Tamar Dickinson and this Hugh in the 1881 census was born c1840 Allendale. A little too old to be yours,

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 November 14 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all. Hughs father was Oliver so the Joseph connection will not be right.I will have a look at the Auckland reg Thanks again
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names