Author Topic: Requesting information on Jack Maurice Flatau - Photographer in Canning Town  (Read 3588 times)

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
Requesting information on Jack Maurice Flatau - Photographer in Canning Town
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody assist me with finding information on Jack Maurice Flatau.
I think he was born abt 1881 in Dalston, London and married Elizabeth Wootton (b. abt 1886 in Stepney, London). A marriage (St Michael and All Angels, Hackney) for 1908 shows them in Mare Street where he is a Commerical Traveller. I also think he died 25 Oct 1955 (Cambridge Hotel, Westow Hill, Upper Norwood).

His father is shown as Harry Flatau - Boot and Shoe Manufacturer.
I have found reference to a Harry Percy Flatau (Company Director Boot Trade) who married Zillah Ernestine Tuck; a Harry Flatau (Boot and Shoe Manufacturer) in Hackney Road c. 1896; and a Messrs A & W Flatau & Co, Wholesale Boot and Shoe Manufacturers (run by Jacob, Solomon, and John Nathaniel Flatau). I not sure if he is related to any of these.

The only other positive reference I can find to Jack Maurice Flatau is that he was a photographer at 89 Beckton Road, Canning Town (c. 1911) and had a daughter - Marjorie Clara Flatau (b. abt 1909 in Stepney, London).

If anybody has information on the Flatau family, I would be grateful
Regards
Bobfilm :)
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting information on Jack Maurice Flatau - Photographer in Canning Town
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:03 GMT (UK) »
RG12/252/60/23
harry flatau age 34. b. bishopsgate. occ. boot maker. head
jane flatau age 32. b. st.pancras. wife
tobias flatau age 11. b. st.luke. son
morris flatau age 9. b. haggerston. son
annie flatau age 8. b. haggerston. daughter
living at;34,pearson street,haggerston st.chad,shoreditch,london
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting information on Jack Maurice Flatau - Photographer in Canning Town
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
birth index
name; morris flatau
y.o.r. 1881
qtr;oct/nov/dec
dist; shoreditch
vol; 1c
page; 125
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:21 GMT (UK) »
the harry percy flatau died on dec 28th 1948 he was a knight of the 0rder british empire he left the grand total of £186,683-14s-4d. his wife zilah was still alive at this time.
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
London Electoral Register 1926

Jack Maurice & Elizabeth Flatau are living at 180 Lansdowne Road, Tottenham

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:32 GMT (UK) »
In 1928 Jack Maurice and Elizabeth Flatau arrived from Sydney, Australia on Narkunda, 13 Jul 1928. His occupation on the ships list is Timber Merchant. Address as the 1926 Electoral Register.

JJ

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
the harry percy flatau died on dec 28th 1948 he was a knight of the 0rder british empire he left the grand total of £186,683-14s-4d. his wife zilah was still alive at this time.
harry percys parents appear to be jacob flatau and rebecca emanuel they married in islington in 1871 haggerston,shoreditch,islington are all quiet close to one another so there is a distinct chance that harry percy and jack maurice were related in some way
will see if i can find jacob flataus parents
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
jacobs parents appear to be abraham and sarah flatau they are in islington in 1871 and they are shoe manufacturers employing 200 people. among their children is a solomon flatau so maybe jacob and solomon are the people who run the a and w  flatau company
but i have not found the connection to your jack maurice flatau yet
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline globalrunner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Can anybody assist me with finding information on Jack Maurice Flatau.
I think he was born abt 1881 in Dalston, London and married Elizabeth Wootton (b. abt 1886 in Stepney, London). A marriage (St Michael and All Angels, Hackney) for 1908 shows them in Mare Street where he is a Commerical Traveller. I also think he died 25 Oct 1955 (Cambridge Hotel, Westow Hill, Upper Norwood).

His father is shown as Harry Flatau - Boot and Shoe Manufacturer.
I have found reference to a Harry Percy Flatau (Company Director Boot Trade) who married Zillah Ernestine Tuck; a Harry Flatau (Boot and Shoe Manufacturer) in Hackney Road c. 1896; and a Messrs A & W Flatau & Co, Wholesale Boot and Shoe Manufacturers (run by Jacob, Solomon, and John Nathaniel Flatau). I not sure if he is related to any of these.

The only other positive reference I can find to Jack Maurice Flatau is that he was a photographer at 89 Beckton Road, Canning Town (c. 1911) and had a daughter - Marjorie Clara Flatau (b. abt 1909 in Stepney, London).

If anybody has information on the Flatau family, I would be grateful
Regards
Bobfilm :)