Author Topic: John Pope - hairdresser 1841  (Read 1178 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Pope - hairdresser 1841
« on: Sunday 25 August 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
I am seeking more on John Pope, who appears in the 1841 (Upper East Smithfield Wapping with Elizabeth Pope, Sarah Edwards and Rosina Edwards) and 1851 census (Upper East Smithfield with wife Eliza and granddaughter Rosina Edwards). He is a hair dyer or hairdresser. He appears to have been born about 1773. He appears in 2 census returns for 1851 - with  a reasonable size establishment with another hairdresser living and working with him (John or Albert Hollis? Wallis?, and a female servant Letitia Jones).

In the 1851 Census he is listed as being born in Horsleydown, Surrey. I can't find him or his wife Elizabeth in the 1861 census, and am presuming him dead, - a burial of John Pope, 79 years  East smithfield on 14 Aug 1851 looks promising.

If I consider that Sarah is his and Elizabeth's daughter, there are a few options, one of which is that Elizabeth was born Elizabeth Lewis, and they lived at Hanwell, Middlesex. But this couple had many children, and that John Pope is listed as a labourer. Of course its possible he eventually became a hairdresser, but... well I am not sure. I have not found a baptism record for Sarah which names a father John as a hairdresser. Her marriage to William Edwards, a mariner, seems right, (with Elizabeth Pope and Charlotte Pope? as witnesses) and there is the baptism of Rosina and her eventual marriage to Mark Jarvis with a father William Edwards mariner.

The only newspaper item I can find which MIGHT have something to do with him is a murder in horsleydown in August 1806. John Pope, who was married, wife not named, was acquitted because he confessed and gave evidence for the crown but John Maycock was hung and 'anatomised'. Whoever that John was he was VERY lucky to escape the gallows!

Does anyone have any ideas?
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline michaelcpope

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pope - hairdresser 1841
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 06:42 BST (UK) »
John Pope is my great x4 uncle. He was baptised at St Mary's Hanwell 15 Nov 1767 and married Elizabeth Lewis, baptised at St Mary's Hanwell 24 Apr 1772, on 2 Oct 1791 also at St Mary's Hanwell. They had 14 children, 6 of whom died before age 9 and one before age 18, including a John junior who was baptised 25 Oct 1895 and buried 6 Nov 1803, all at Hanwell.

John and Elizabeth are not your targets as they were both buried on the same day at St Mary's Hanwell 11 Feb 1821. I hope this helps eliminate at least one of your possibilties.