Author Topic: What happened to Sarah & her daughter?  (Read 4080 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Sarah & her daughter?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
It appears there was no divorce. Sarah certainly had grounds for one, but likely didn't bother.

Is this their son?
William Walter J
b. June 1900 quarter, Lambeth
d. Dec 1905 quarter, Lambeth, aged 5

It might be worth getting the 1905 death certificate just to see who the informant was (family looking after him? Still with mother? In care?)

There's some interesting references to a mortgage here in A2A, in case you haven't seen them:
http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=074-bra&cid=45-23#45-23
Just wondering if money problems were the reason he ran in the first place.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jorose. That is the boy I've goy my eye on too :) He's on the list I'm building for certs to purchase. Excellent spotting & I agree with your concept that the informant would be helpful.

I have daughter Sarah (Audrey Sarah?) on my list of certs to purchase as well. I'd like to know her informant. Cause of death is also of interest as her 1/2 siblings were a much longer lived group.

When it comes to William's date of desertion, I'm still leaning to early 1902ish - shortly after baby Sarah's birth. Unfortunately, the 1st Canadian baby b Oct 1903 was born in Quebec - no BMDs registered until 1994!!  Baptisms are the only source so if they weren't (or church records got misplaced) then there's no formal record. There is a baptism for the 2nd Canadian baby b1906. It names William, but says he didn't attend as he was Protestant. The 3 girls born to William in Canada all looked very much alike & looked like him - not proof of father, but ....  :-\

I saw the legal proceedings (1895-1900ish) transcribed in a tree on *A*. I sent the owner a message a week or so ago - no response as yet. I'd love to know if they can fill in any detail, but it appears I have more than them.

Any luck on finding a remarriage or death for William's 1st wife, Sarah? Nothing is popping up for me.

I appreciate your interest & assistance very much. :)
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Challenging family  :).

It appears that in the 1929 Electoral Roll (if I'm interpreting things correctly) Audrey is in the same household as a Frederick and Sarah Ann Brown. The address is in Hesketh Place, where Audrey Sarah and Sarah Ann can still be found in 1934. Frederick is not there in 1934.

FreeBMD has a marriage between a Frederick Brown and a Sarah A Chapman in Bromley R D Sep 1919. Doesn't mean this is your Sarah Ann but perhaps this is another potential avenue to follow if Audrey Sarah turns out to be the correct daughter.

PB

Edited to add: it appears that when Audrey Sarah moves in 1935, a Sarah Ann Brown can also be found at the same address. Looking a bit more like a rellie?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Brilliant PB. Thank you. :)

It's sad that the family in the direct line on the England side came to an end. Sadder yet that the 1/2 siblings of Audrey Sarah never knew of her. She & her mum are being remember by family on this side of the pond now.

Because of all this help, I've come across a distant family member in England. She wasn't aware of this situation, but is going to make inquiries of some older family members.

Thanks again for all the help.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 July 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I thought I'd pop back to thank you all again  :-* and ask if anyone knows if there was an official status in England for marriage desertion that was akin to divorce. Thoughts?  ???

If you recall, the 1911 census indicates that Sarah Ann Chapman was "married - deserted 6" which we took to mean deserted in 1905. I found William Henry Chapman's transit record to Canada in 1903. His son in England died Oct 1905. Now I'm wondering if Sarah Ann had some kind of declaration of "desertion" made after the death of the son. :-\ If so, is there any place to access a record of that type?

I also wanted to let you know that I'm convinced that the Audrey Sarah Chapman that you identified is "within a shadow of a doubt" the daughter of William Henry Chapman.   :) I found her probate record after all your help here & made my notes. After searching other branches of the family I happened back on the notes this morning - Audrey Sarah left her estate to Edith Mary Turner who turns out to be her first cousin (d/o William Henry Chapman's sister)! 8)