Author Topic: William McAdam and Jane Pickard  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McAdam and Jane Pickard
« on: Thursday 03 July 14 08:30 BST (UK) »
William was born 1780 in the USA the second child of John Loudon McAdam
He married Jane Pickard in 1799 in her home Parish of St Pauls Shadwell in the East End of London.
William died 1836 and is buried in Colmonell Ayrshire but his stone does not mention Jane. We believe she died in 1832 though we have also seen 1852, which might be a transcription error.
William and Jane very likely had a home in England very likely Bristol or Bath in the early 1800's.

Does anyone know anything about the Pickard family? Are there any living descendants? Where was Jane buried etc?
Thanks in anticipation :)
Rod McAdam NZ

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William McAdam and Jane Pickard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 July 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Your post mentions lots of different life events in different places all over the world. How do you know they are all for the same William McAdam?

E.g , how do you know the death in Scotland is the same one as was born USA, and married in London? What makes you think a person born in USA, possibly married in London and possibly died in Scotland, had a house in Bristol?

Here is the marriage
23 Jun 1799
St Paul Shadwell
William McAdam bachelor of this parish to Jane Pickard spinster of this parish
By banns
Both signed
Witnesses Henry John Sawyer and John Bryan (who witness several other marriages on that page)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 July 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Ho there lizdb
Thanks for your msg and your interest. Umm good questions but in this case this family is reasonably well known and reasonably well documented.
William was the oldest son of John Loudon McAdam and was born in JLM's time in the USA (about 13 years from 1770. His wife was American. William is buried in Colmonell and and his stone mentions he was the son of JLM. Family records indicate that he married Jane Pickard and at least one of my great uncles had Pickard as a middle name. It is known that William moved from Scotland, where he was the manager of the Murkick Iron Works, to England to work with his father on roading works.
Williams first child that we have a birth date for was also William, b1803 so 1899 marriage is not inconsistent.
JLM was in Falmouth and Bristol and Bath. We don't know where William was when he died but the family had a property at Ballochmorrie at the time. William died about 6 months before his father did. I imagine that in those days bodies would not generally be transported large distances for burial, so imagine that he was probably in Scotland at the time. He has been ill for some time. Colmonell is not really a McAdam stronghold, but is fairly close to Ballochmorrie so that might explain it. We would have expected that he would maybe have been buried in Carsphairn.
I haven't been able to find any death records for Jane but a number of ancestry.com trees suggest 23/06/1832.
So in summary I am pretty sure I am on the right track as far as the linking of events is concerned, and am still interested in any information anyone might have on the Pickard family particularly of St Paul Shadwell.
Rod

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
With the owning of property one would expect there to be Wills - have you found any?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:00 BST (UK) »
HI there lizdb
Oh good thought. I haven't come across one but haven't looked too hard.
I know that my cousin has seen details of the will of his son William b1803.
I will look further into the will angle thanks. I have been told that Ballochmorrie was jointly owned by JLM and William but have seen no proof.

Rod

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thinking about Pickards in Shadwell - I wonder if this person is related?

Will
In the name of God Amen I George Pickard Mariner on board the ship Oceana Captain James J Williamson in the service of the East India Company being of sound and disposing mind and memory do hereby make this my last will and testament . First and foremost I commend my soul into the hands of Almighty God hoping for remission of all my sins through the merits of Jesus Christ my blessed saviour and redeemer, and my body to the earth or sea as it shall please God, And as for such my wordly estate and effects that I shall be possessed of or entitled to at the time of my decease I hereby give and bequeath the same as followeth That is to say I give and bequeath unto my cousin John Masagarm Gray of Shadwell Middlesex all such wages sum or sums of money as now is or hereafter shall be due to me from my service or otherwise on board the said ship or any other ship or vessel.

...... Goes on to appoint John Madogarm Grey as sole executor

Signed 3 Jan 1806
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
There is an MI for a Jane Mcadam in Dinton Wiltshire, burial 23 Jan 1852. The transcription says wife of William.

The 1851census has Jane Mcadam a widow and annuitant living in Dinton age 73 born Ireland. She is with daughter Jane unmarried also an annuitant aged 32 and born in Scotland.

The 1841 census has Jane 60 independent B Ireland with Elizabeth age 35 b Wiltshire and Jane 28 b Scotland. Residence again Dinton. Surname has been transcribed as Mcadams.

May be a different family but thought I would draw your attention to it.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
HI there Millmoor
Thanks for your msg and information.
This looks very promising.
Daughter Eliz b 1806 and probably unmarried ties up with our records
Daughter Jane b 1813 name and marital status ties up, we didn't have a bdate.

We have Jane Pickard born 1767 which would make her 74 in 1841 and 84 in 1851.
b 1767 would have her 46 when Jane probably last her child was born so not impossible.
She would have been 32 when married and William about 3 years younger.

We got her bd from www.mcadamshistory.com
"From the Family Bible of John Loudon McAdam
published 1841 so it is actually from grandson of John Loudon."

"William McAdam born 20 th May 1780
Spouse couldn't read born 13 th Feb.1767? married 23rd June 1799 "

According to History of the Counties of Ayr & Wigton Scotland: Carrick  By James Paterson
Jane was the daughter of Capt Pickard of the 13th Light Dragoons.
Does your inscription reference indicate which churchyard and where abouts in the churchyard the memorial stone is?
Regards
Rod McAdam

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 July 14 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there Lizdb

Great thanks another lead worth following up.
Regards
Rod