Author Topic: Armstrongs in Canonbie Area  (Read 4698 times)

Offline dotwar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Armstrongs in Canonbie Area
« on: Thursday 02 September 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
According to the OPR, Jacob Armstrong and his wife Jannet WcWhinny had the following:  a son in Clossen 1764;  William in Greengateend(?) in 1767; John in Brickkiln in 1769; and a daughter, Agnes, born in Brickkiln in 1772.   

In 1778 a Jacob Armstrong marries Margaret Carruthers in Canonbie. Daughter of Jacob and Margaret, Jannet is baptised in Tinnishal in 1779; a son William is born to Jacob Armstrong and Jean Carruthers in Garden of Glenziers in 1780; a son James is born to Jacob Armstrong and Jean Carruthers, Garden of Glenziers in 1783; daughter Elizabeth is born to Jacob and Margaret Carruthers, Garden of Glenziers in 1786; and daughter Helen is born to Jacob and Margaret Carruthers, Garden of Glenziers in 1789.

I have a few questions.  First of all, are all of these areas close enough that this could easily be the same Jacob Armstrong with Janet McWhinny being his first wife and Margaret (Jean) Carruthers as his second? Or is it possible that Jacob is a nick-name for James and there are three of them in the area at the same time? And are Margaret and Jean Carruthers two different women married to two James Armstrongs? 
I have been considering this for quite a while and am going in circles.  Would appreciate any help.

Searching Parry, Stott, Henley, Wright, Pritchard, Gash, Jackson, Armstrong, Richardson, Warwick

Offline boswells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrongs in Canonbie Area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
First of all you are right in that it was Jacob Armstrong and Janet Mc Whinney  they were my gt,gt,gt,grandparents. Their son Charles was born at Closses, Canonbie 29/6/1764.  Closses was one or possibly a group of cottages on the outskirts of Canonbie but which are no longer there. They seem to have been used by the married younger son(s) of the Garden of Glenzier Armstrongs who were still working at home, over several generations.  Cross country it would have been about 1.5 to 2 miles from the Garden.  I have no knowledge of other children and I am very interested to have your information. Equally I was not aware of Jacob having married Margaret Carruthers.
The Garden of Glenzier Armstrongs are a very complicated family who intermarried at cousin level in many generations.  My family had Armstrongs married to Armstrongs and they all seemed to be from Garden of Glenzier or from the neighbouring farm of Glenzier Hall (now known as the Fauldie and still occupied by another of Jacob's descendants.
I would be very happy to share my information in exchange for yours.
Alan
Mitchell, Stodart/Stothart, Armstrong, Porteous (Dumfriesshire), Taylor, Lindsay, Auld, (Ayrshire)

Offline dotwar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
I would love to share what little I have.  I believe I am descended from Jacob Armstrong and Margaret Carruther's daughter Helen (Ellen) born 1789 in Garden of Glenzier.  Do you think we share the same Jacob Armstrong???

Searching Parry, Stott, Henley, Wright, Pritchard, Gash, Jackson, Armstrong, Richardson, Warwick

Offline boswells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
From what I know I would have thought that there would have to be many coincidences if it was not the case.
How do we get in touch directly?
Boswells
Mitchell, Stodart/Stothart, Armstrong, Porteous (Dumfriesshire), Taylor, Lindsay, Auld, (Ayrshire)

Offline dotwar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
Will get in touch with you privately.

Many thanks.
Dot

Offline Jamie555red

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 July 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hello. I realise this is an old post but I was wondering if you had managed to clear up
the Armstrong - Carruthers puzzle? I descend from James Little and Janet Armstrong who I  believe to be the same Janet or Jannet   
Armstrong b 1778 bap 1779 as you mention above.
In the OPR she is listed as the child of Jacob Armstrong and Margaret Carruthers yet I have come across several accounts of her being the child of William Armstrong and Margaret Carruthers. In a copy of a letter dated 1856 from James Little to his Daughter Grace he mentions her that her uncle John Armstrong ( I assume this is Janet Armstrongs brother) has died recently. I think this is John Armstrong b 1777 d1856 if this is the case John's parents are listed in the OPR as being William Armstrong and Margaret Carruthers. I was wondering the same thing as you maybe William and Jacob are the a same person? Thanks, Jamie