Author Topic: The Burial at of Catherine Lawrence at Stone-Church near Plymouth, May 1786.  (Read 1395 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Roots Chatters

According to notes in a Family Bible, Catherine Mary Lawrence (nee Smith) died 8 May 1786 at Plymouth Dock and was buried in Stone-Church near Plymouth.

Not sure where Stone-Church is. It may be an error for Stonehouse (East Stonehouse). That parish does not have an OPC. If any one has access to these burial records and can let me have details of the entry that would be great.

I am especially interested to know if her husband William and his occupational status are mentioned. This couple were living at Chester when their children were born and their father was described as a Gentleman and stated to be the Store Keeper of Chester Castle.

The last child was baptized at Chester in March 1785 so the family were recent arrivals at Plymouth Dock.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone else researching this family. I have no information re William Lawrence's birth and parentage. The children of William and Catherine were Lucy, Paul, Edwin and Charlotte but I suspect that William took a second wife and there may be other children.

Venelow
Canada

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Burial at of Catherine Lawrence at Stone-Church near Plymouth, May 1786.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 14 16:28 BST (UK) »
Whilst East Stonehouse is a likely contender as she lived in Plymouth Dock which later became Devonport, the main parish would have been Stoke Dameral [could Stone / Stoke be misinterpreted?]. It certainly makes more sense for a resident in Plymouth Dock to be buried in the church in that parish.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Burial at of Catherine Lawrence at Stone-Church near Plymouth, May 1786.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi cemetery friends,
Thanks for your suggestion. I have now found a obit of William Lawrence in Gentlemen's Magazine but only the year (1818) is mentioned not the date or burial place. He was the Store Keeper at Keyham Point and had worked for the Ordnance Department for fifty years. Some of William Lawrence's children were married at Stoke Damerel while others used St Andrew's. So I suppose I will have to check all three parishes.
Venelow.