Author Topic: Camghouran  (Read 14665 times)

Offline susanscottbrouillard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Camghouran
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 April 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Skoosh, I hadn't thought of that.  Perhaps that is why Archibald said at one point that he was from Old Castleton and at another that he was from Camghouran.  I just wish I could find some definite evidence of Scotts in Camghouran.  Thank you for thinking of the possible reason why both places are mentioned.   :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 April 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
Susan,  found an Alexander Scott, Balnald, Fortingall, (not far from Rannoch so they were about) married to a Catherine MacFarlane, Auchtergaven, Sep' 5 1817, set up home at Waterloo, Auchtergaven.
Must be new property as the battle was just fought!

Skoosh.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 April 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness--thank you for this and any information.  I have actually visited Fortingall before.  Such a beautiful village.  How exciting to think my Scotts may have come from there.  I hope to get to Camghouran when we visit again in November-December of this year.  Thank you again!  Susan

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 April 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Used to fish Rannoch about twenty years ago Susan, there was a local keeper named Scott used to prop the bar up at Rannoch Station. Think he worked away in Uist at the time.

Bests,

Skoosh.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 April 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
That is fascinating--to think there could still be Scotts in the area.  I can't wait to visit.  Thank you again.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 April 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Waterloo is a small village just north of Bankfoot Parish of Auchtergaven

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline AlasdairMcN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 April 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
An Elgin Menzies (daughter to Menzies of Culdares) was married to a Duncan McNaughton (described as being 'in Meggernie'). Susan McNaughton married Alexander Cameron (a schoolmaster at Camghouran). Susan and Alexander had two daughters named Elgin - the first lived 1790-1800 and the 2nd was born in 1804. There must be some family link between Duncan McNaughton and Susan McNaughton. Going by the fact that Elgin seems to have been the first born daughter of Susan then Duncan McNaughton and Elgin Menzies were probably the parents of Susan McNaughton.

The Elgin Cameron who died in 1948 was the daughter of Duncan Cameron and Christian (sometimes written as Christina) McNaughton. Duncan's parents were Donald Cameron and Margaret Cameron. Christian McNaughton's parents were John McNaughton and Margaret McNaughton.

Offline Mollbhan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
As a local who was brought up in this area I remember Scott from Rannoch Station, he owned the hotel and was not a keeper, I know of no other Scotts in this area. There were many Cameron families along the south side of Loch Rannoch in my youth, now all gone. For anyone researching their Cameron ancestry in Rannoch a visit to the graveyard is a must, the Camghouran Camerons came from Lochaber and were famed for their unruly rebellious ways, Donald Cameron was hanged for sheepstealing in the 1770s to try to pacify the locals, it apparently worked.