Author Topic: STEWART/ROBERTSON  (Read 18484 times)

Offline Leanne Janette

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART/ROBERTSON
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 March 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I believe I am a descendant of the same Robertson family. I have a handwritten piece of paper that lists the Robertsons who came to Australia in 1838 on the Lady Kennaway. Anne is listed on the paper with the birthdate March 6 1827 and so are her siblings. I have only 9 boy and three girls. I was missing Robert. Whichever family member wrote this list also wrote at the top that "Grandmother died in Blairgowrie Perthshire Scotland. Grandfather and the family came out to Australia in a ship called the Lady Kennaway. Grandfather died on the Shoalhaven River"

My Great grandmother was Janet Robertson (Born 1858, Shoalhaven) who married John Wingfield. I think therefore that Janet's father must have been one of Anne's brothers. Which one I don't know and would like to find out.

Offline Macpherson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
The last post for this family was three years ago, I am in Blairgowrie at the moment researching the same family and can possibly help if still needed.

Offline rachaelandtheboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 November 19 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am descended from Catherine, Rebecca's daughter. I am going to Blairgowrie this coming weekend, and very happy to have come across this thread. I hope it's still active. My grandmother and I are looking for Rebecca's final resting place. Any help would be appreciated! Very curious to find out where Rebecca's birth information was found, this has been something my grandmother has been stuck on for years! Many thanks.

Offline Macpherson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 November 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachaelandtheboo, my direct descendant is Ann Robertson born 1827, sister Catherine born 1811, died Ballina 1898, married John Rutherford and Joseph Goodwin.  I have been researching this family for many years, Donald (Daniel) Robertson and Rebecca Buttars were married in Hill Church Blairgowrie, the Church is closed at the present time but volunteers are busy restoring the churchyard as many of the headstones have fallen over, but at the present time do not know if Rebecca is buried there.  The house where the children were born at Millton of Drumlochy still stands, an extra story was added some years ago.  I can go back three generations from Donald who came from Tulloch which is now ruins and the graveyard badly overgrown, can be reached by a road from the House of Bruar (out of Blairgowrie on the road north to Inverness) but is a back road and there is a ford to drive through enroute.  Hope this has been helpful

Offline rachaelandtheboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 November 19 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much! This is very exciting to know the house still stands. I doubt I’ll be prepared enough to drive through a ford to get there on this visit but maybe next year. I can’t seem to find the extra story in the thread though. Are you based in Australia or Scotland?
You probably already know this but Ann is buried in Kiama (curiously where my mother lives!). I am based in London so will have more opportunities to go to to Blairgowrie next year.
Thank you so much.

Offline rachaelandtheboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 November 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I stupidly didn't realise you meant an extra story on the HOUSE, I thought you meant the thread! I've tried to find where this house would be- but when I google Milltown of Drumlochy only a farmhouse for sale comes up- would you have an address for it? I also spoke to my grandmother, and shared your message with her, she was wondering if you had anything else on John Rutherford, as she doesn't have much on him.
Also, in an earlier post mothermacree mentions Rebecca's birthday, being in February 1788- I'd love to know if there's a birth certificate, or how she found this out. To find Rebecca's parent's names would be amazing- though a long shot I know. Very much looking forward to my weekend in Blairgowrie!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 08:16 GMT (UK) »
https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO1646

Official address according to Post Code finder
Milton Of Drumlochy Farm
BLAIRGOWRIE
PH10 6TD
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Macpherson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Rachaelandtheboo, enjoy your trip to Perthshire, very pretty countryside, but maybe not so warm this time of year.  Millton of Drumlochy is north of Blairgowrie, there is a signpost on the roadside and the farmhouse is directly behind, a GPS might be of help.   I have had a lot of help from Blairgiwrie Genealogy Centre (situated in the library building), the two volunteer ladies I saw there were wonderful.  Robertson and Buttar are two very common names in that area, Rebecca was born in February 1788, in Blairgowrie, births then were mainly parish registered, and hard to find out if this was birth or baptismal date.  To date have not been able to find names of parents, work in progress, but thought she could have been buried in Hill Church - this is just up behind the town centre, the gates are locked while restoration work is being carried out but you can look through them.   I have her death and funeral registration details.  There are so many variations of the name Buttar which makes it even harder.    Will look back into the paperwork to see if I have anything on John Rutherford, from memory Catherine came out to Australia some years after her father and family as a widow with 2 children.  I live in Sydney but will be in the UK again next September.  After this post I should be able to send you a private message with my e-mail address which will enable me to scan certificates, etc. 

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone who has been 'threading'

I have only just seen these threads so it is very interesting to read them all.  I haven't done research on this branch of the family for some time.  Without going into my paper trail at the moment I am pretty sure I got Rebekah's birth/baptism entry from ScotlandsPeople. I will have to go back and see if I can find it. Today I google info for The Lady Kennaway into Sydney 1838 and found IFHAA Shipping Pages which detailed the passengers, their ages, religion, read/write, native place and trade.  The Robinsons are there. As I said in a very early thread they were actually Robertson but clerically mispelt! as it is them.  I note there is another family also those of Robert Robinson and possibly another that of John Robinson. I haven't look closely into that yet but they all came from Dundee. The IFHAA Shipping Pages site also has the typed out version of the hand notes written by the Captain about the voyage. It is quite interesting to read and also there is a list of births on the voyage and I note there is a girl born to Mrs Robert Robertson and a girl born to Mrs James Robertson and also a girl to Mrs John Robertson. No deaths listed under their name. I have had suggestions on Ancestry for parents of Rebekah Buttars but without evidence I don't want to use them.  If anyone has other information I'd love to hear.  While in Scotland we did not get to find any graves or visit the related churches. LEANNE JANETTE...your Janet Robertson is the daughter of ANGUS ROBERTSON b1809 and married GEORGINA MCPHERSON.  Angus was Anne's brother.
rachaelandtheboo ...it would be interesting to know if you have managed to locate Rebekah's final resting place? Macpherson ...I was interested to read your thread abt the house and other info. I'd be interested to hear more if you find things out.  Yes, Catherine had 2 children Isabella Rutherford b 1836 and Daniel b 1839 both born in Scotland. Daniel married a Mary Upton and Isabella married a William Brown. Isabella had a large family, not sure about Daniel but I know he did have one daughter and Daniel married a couple of times. Cheers mothermacree
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)
Ireland: Dawson, Cook, O'Brien, Murphy (Mums side)
Finland: Johnson/Johansson, Worstein (Dad)