Author Topic: Murphy - Berry Family Wexford Town  (Read 41265 times)

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy - Berry Family Wexford Twon
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 July 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
The headstone inscription of Nicky and Catherine Berry nee Sheehan are my relations.

Below are details of the baptism of Nicholas &  Kate Berry's son Nicholas born in 1913. It also has a note of his marriage in 1938.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline Roginson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy - Berry Family Wexford Town
« Reply #37 on: Friday 04 November 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can you help, I have a old photo of my great grandfather Nicolas Berry ŵho was a member of the Loch Garman silver band, the picture was taken in 1938. My grand mothers name was Bridget Berry, I have found the records of Nicholas Berry and Catherine Sheehan, and a photo of a head stone in Crosstown cemetery but the headstone also says Bridget, however my Grand mother Bridget died just 9 years ago and is laid  to rest in England.
According to the records Keyser Lane is also mentioned, aim a bit confused as a current member of the Loch Garman says he has a picture of band members laying a wreath on my great grandfathers grave in Crosstown.
Was there more than one Nicholas Berry with a daughter called Bridget, my Gran said her mother died at a early age aim not sure if my Grans mother was called Catherine, it does ring a bell somewhere in my mind.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy - Berry Family Wexford Twon
« Reply #38 on: Friday 16 December 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am fairly new to all of this as well. I havnt gone any further back than Patrick with any great certainty.  My Patrick lived in 9 Keyers Lane in 1911 married to Ellen Berry (maiden name Browne) When Kathleen was born in 1915 they lived in Back Street, then Patrick went off to war and died in 1917.  References in war news mention another brother Richard who also died in WW11 but his parents are named John and Mary.  I had no idea that Berry was such a popular name in Wexford so I am having difficulty confirming Patricks parents.

Some further info on Patrick Berry  - Source: Military service record (crown copyright)

Patrick Berry attested for “Short Service” (8 years plus 4 in the reserves) and enlisted at Carrick-on-Suir on 22nd January 1898, joining the Royal Irish Regiment (No 6270).

Details on enlistment: – Age: 19, trade: Labourer, Name & Address of next of kin:

Mother: Mary, Back Street, Wexford
Brother: (younger) Richard
Sisters: Mary, Catherine

Postings:

Home: 22/01/1898 to 04/10/1899
India: 05/10/1899 to 08/02/1903
S.Africa: 09/02/1903 to 10/02/1905
India: 11/02/1905 to 24/01/1906
Home: 25/01/1906 to 21/01/1910

After 8 years service he transferred on 25th January 1906 to the Army Reserve.

After a further 4 years he was discharged on termination of his first period of limited engagement on 21st January 1910.

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline debi1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 09 January 12 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shorts

I am thinking this Patrick has to be mine.  I note Richard Berry as being his brother (who also died in WW1) and that this is the Richard who married a Sheehan.  As noted on the marriage cert his father John Berry was deceased yet on James's he is listed as residing in olyegate. It appears there were 2 John Berry's - Richards perhaps being the John Berry that died c1898.  On the 1901 census he was listed with his mother Mary Kearney (1911 census spelt Carney) and listed as stepson to John Kearney.  Also he lists mother as Mary Carney on his WWi records.  Possibly related to the other Berry boys who married Sheehans but not their brother. Thanks everyone for their imput - managing to get a lot of information and hopefully in the end will be able to tie it all together.

Offline AncestryNeeded

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 15 August 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I am looking for a Patrick Henry Berry who was born in either Wexford county or Waterford county (Almost certainly Wexford county) abt 1888.

He was married as 'Patrick Berry' in 1916 in Poole, Dorset, England.

I can't find him in any of the censuses (England or Ireland) so any information prior to 1916 would be greatly appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 15 August 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I am looking for a Patrick Henry Berry who was born in either Wexford county or Waterford county (Almost certainly Wexford county) abt 1888.

He was married as 'Patrick Berry' in 1916 in Poole, Dorset, England.

I can't find him in any of the censuses (England or Ireland) so any information prior to 1916 would be greatly appreciated.

If he is in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census more details will help spot him-

What was his father's name and occupation on the 1916 marriage certificate? (might be easier to find father in Irish census records)

Did he serve in WWI? (there may be records which will give a more exact birth date and location in Ireland)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline zakiemya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am related to the Berry's of 6 Sinnott Lane.  John Berry was my great grandfather who married a Barbara Doran of New Ross. John had brothers Paddy and Jerry who I have photo's of.  They are buried together in Crosstown.  In the 1940's Paddy was famous for playing the accordian in Wexford.
My Great Grandfather John had a son called Andy Berry who was my grandad. If there is anyone who has more info on this Berry family I would be most grateful. James, Ellen and Annie I know nothing about. Thank you.

Offline andy berry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 03 February 14 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

My name is Andy Berry and I live in Northampton  , I am looking for as much info as possible about my family roots .
My father Nicholas joseph berry was born in Wexford 1941 and passed away over 3 years ago he was one of 11 children and his father was also Nicholas berry who married Mary Farrell I believe ?
I don't know any more than this
My wife and three young children  will be visiting Wexford for the first time on April 5th for two weeks and I would love to be in a position to visit the graves of my great grandparents and also see were they lived
any help would be great

Offline zakiemya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 20 April 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Andy Berry was from Stonebridge Lane but related to the Berry's in Keysers Lane.  On the 1911 census he is aged 4  but has sisters called Catherine, Johanna and Ann.  Don't know what happened to his sisters as too many Berry's with the same names and confusing.  His mother Barbara died in 1930 aged 30 and she was murdered.  I knew this but since found an article on the Wexford Hub.  I just googled her name and it popped up.  It also said she had 6 children so obviously had another 2 after the 1911 census.