Author Topic: Boardmills,Killaney civil parish(Maxwell and Brown)  (Read 2292 times)

Offline citrustree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Boardmills,Killaney civil parish(Maxwell and Brown)
« on: Monday 06 January 14 01:41 GMT (UK) »
John Maxwell married Jane Brown at the (1st) Presbyterian Church in Boardmills, Belfast, on 13th July 1800.
Children Thomas b? and John Jnr.b'1811.
I am right to presume this is Boardmills in the townland of Carrickmaddyroe in the civil parish of Killaney, County Down.
Records apparently exist of this church, Ros Davies Co Down website gives baptisms 1782-1889, marriages 1782-1844 etc..
Has anyone seen these records?
Apparently familysearch copied them.
I would love to know John and Janes parents & where Thomas and John Jnr. were born. Indeed, all information about them both.
The family moved to Edinburgh. Thomas came to New Zealand c1826.
The second Presbyterian Church, Boardmills, was a break away from the first in 1809, but their surviving records don't start until 1836.
My information is gleaned from the death certificate of John Jnr., (brother of Thomas), who died in New Zealand, (Thomas was shipwrecked & drowned there in 1842, no death cert..)
Looking forward to your help,
Averyl.("citrustree")

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boardmills,Killaney civil parish(Maxwell and Brown)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 January 14 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with these particular records but in general Presbyterian marriage records pre-registration (1845) don't give parents names- usually date, bride and groom (sometimes 2 witnesses). Baptism records usually follow one of several patterns which will include child's name, date of baptism & father's name- sometimes mother's name or a townland might be included.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 06:54 GMT (UK) »
If John and Jane Maxwell died in Scotland, then scotlandspeople.org.uk will have their death certificates. The death certificates in Scotland seem to throw up accurate results. It is a pay site but from memory you can log in and try to find the right people before you pay, their Irish birth could narrow the feild to. Just a thought
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline citrustree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks for that, - looks like I'll have to do that!

Offline citrustree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 02:34 GMT (UK) »
I've got my scotlandspeople credits but need to know when John Maxwell & Jane Brown were born! The Boardmills 1st Presbyterian Church records were transcribed in 1941 by Re. David Steward & copied in book form by E.Mettam, but can't read it!