Author Topic: Anyone researching the Botes family  (Read 61943 times)

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone researching the Botes family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello to you both again,

I can't wait to see if Tertius can get a marriage cert.  It would be like finding the golden key which would unlock all the mystery and I would be able to go from there with the correct names.

Danchaslyn, my mother was born in Cluny,  Auchterderran, Fife.  It was just a small village in those days and has probably grown a lot.  The house she was born in was Denside Cottage, which is still there and I would love a photo of it, if someone nearby could take one for me ;D
The direct location is easy to get off Google Maps ... just key in Denside Cottage, Cluny, Fife.
Thank you
Lorraine
McCall, Arnott, Ness, Galloway, Balfour, Botes

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 August 09 11:42 BST (UK) »

:)

Hello

Yesterday I visited my old lady Rhodie, in-law rellie, whose own mother was on one of the "Moodie Treks" from SA, to Rhodesia and asked her, and her daughter, everything I could, about your questions.    ???

Of course they remember businesses and places in Salisbury, which you mentioned to me, but unfortunately, not the people. They had no idea how to trace names of folk on the treks, and instead asked me to find their rellies on the treks, "Stols",  and "Steyns"!   ::)

They also asked me to trace other rellies of theirs, two of whom, survived one of the Viscount aircraft crashes, after it had been shot down by terrorists!   >:(

Lorand, with Tertius's great offer, and all his expert Botes knowledge, and I've still to ask my rellies near Bloem, about Free State Farmers, once we have the surname, we'll all get there in the end.    ;D

Cheers

Danchaslyn

:)
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand
LIPTROT, various counties of England
SMITH,  various counties of England
LYNCH,  Yorkshire, England, Rhodesia and South Africa

Offline Johann Claassen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Proudly South African
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Just for general information to al your BOTES-seekers: There were 16 BOTES 'Voortrekker-stamvaders' participating in the GROOT TREK. However, none of them was named Jacobus Johannes Christoffel. There was a Jan Jacobus * Baviaansfontein, Koup, district Beaufort 26.8.1800 and who later settled in the districts of Winburg and Bloemfontein. He could be the ancestor of Lorand's people, but that will be a great guess of course. Maybe Tertius  has some info on him and his descendants.

Kind regards
Johann
Claassen(Clauszen)/Cronje/Dyer/Gerber/James/Jones/McHale/Pozyn/Rose/Schoon/Swiegelaar/Victor/Wagenaar/Walker/Warner/Waterson/Warwick/Zeelie

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 September 10 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Johann,

My dad was Jacobus Johannes Christoffel BOTES, born 1921 and died in 1985, so he would not have been in the GROOT TREK. He was born in Kimberley and the youngest of many children.

His mother's first names were Susara Maria ? (I don't know the maiden name) died c 1964, and not sure of his father's first names. His father died  early 1950s. I think they may have been on the trek in their youth.  They would have been born in 1880s - 1890s.

Winburg and Bloemfontein sound like probable areas they may have settled. They farmed for many years.

One of my dad's sisters was Jacomina Maria Botes, married to  Pieter Johannes Saaiman BECKLEY and lived in Bloemfontein in 1960s.
Another sister was Gertie - brothers, Jaapie and Boet (all nicknames). That is about all the info I have unfortunately, and I'm just hoping that someone may have these names in their family tree, especially my ouma, Susara Maria, as I would like to make a start with her side. 

Can you let me know when the Great trek took place and were any of the Botes'  French Huguenots via Holland?

I can't do any research into 1800 until I find the more recent ancestors. so would appreciate any help, Johann.

Thanks Lorand

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 September 10 05:21 BST (UK) »
I meant to ask ...

Does anyone know what information is put onto S African births, marriage and death certificates prior to 1947?  My birth cert. (Johannesburg) does not state my parents names, only place and date.

If there is no mention of parent's names, it is no use me applying for my dad's birth or death cert to get started on his family.

Lorand

Offline Johann Claassen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Proudly South African
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 September 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorand,

Please feel free to contact Willie Botes on Facebook at 
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110132992349234&ref=ts

As well as at
http://botes-stamboom.weebly.com/

Most probably he has all the answers on your questions. I supplied him with some Botes info.

The Botes progenitor is not from Huguenot descendant. Die Groot Trek took place 1835-1838.

You are welcome to send me a private message.

Best wishes
Johann
Claassen(Clauszen)/Cronje/Dyer/Gerber/James/Jones/McHale/Pozyn/Rose/Schoon/Swiegelaar/Victor/Wagenaar/Walker/Warner/Waterson/Warwick/Zeelie

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 September 10 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all Botes researchers.

I have at last made an in-road into my family and found the names of my Botes grandparents and a few more of their children.

Gysbert Johannes BOTES married Susara Maria GOUWS
Their children as follows:

Susara Maria Aletta (Sally) BOTES b.19/09/1907; d.30/08/1939
Jacomina Maria BOTES (Miems) 31/5/1909 - 12/1/1994  Married Pieter Beckley
Bertie  (female) BOTES  b.1910  married Sarel Van Vuuren
GERTRUIDA (Gertie) BOTES  b.1912
Jaap BOTES  B.1915 married Minnie
Gsbert Johannes (Boet) BOTES b.1917  married ? Pretorius
Jacobus Christoffel (Chris) BOTES  b.22/11/1921 d.7/7/1985 married Janet McCall

I think there may have been other children who died.  If anyone can add to this list or are descended from this family, please contact me.

Thanks
Lorand

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 September 10 13:45 BST (UK) »

Hello Lorand

So very, very glad for you that Johann Claassens has at last unlocked your Botes Puzzle for you!

Also, on a South African Death Certificate prior to 1947, to answer your question, you will be given the parents full names, possibly the parents place of birth, as well as the Deceased's place of birth, date of birth,  date of death, place of death and cause of death.

The person who was present at the time of death, and who notified the authorities of the death, and possibly the doctor's details will also be given.

If the person died in a hospital, those details will be given.

This is my experience anyway, so good luck

Cheers

Danchaslyn
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand
LIPTROT, various counties of England
SMITH,  various counties of England
LYNCH,  Yorkshire, England, Rhodesia and South Africa

Offline hmarryatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 December 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tertuis, I  hope I'm not doing anything wrong and unmannerly but I  am desperate.  I am from the Botes family, my father was Johannes Hendrik Botes, unfortunately that is the extent of my knowledge. I think my Dads family lived in Boksburg or around that area I  know that I had an uncle who lived in Krugersdorp, he's name was John, wife Sarah and sons Johnny, Andre and Charl, as far as I can remember lived in Kingdon, Street 76, an address I found amongst my mothers papers. Please say that you can help me, I am Hester Marryatt. :) :)