Author Topic: Christian name mystery - Smollett  (Read 42546 times)

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Christian name mystery - Smollett
« on: Friday 26 February 10 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My middle name is Smollett, I'm trying to find the possible origin of this name.
I know it has been handed down through the generations the furthermost I can trace it back is to Smollett Henderson who is my 3rd great grand Aunt. She was born in 1800 in East Lothian, Scotland and died in 1880.

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this first name and may know something about it.
As a child I hated my middle name but since getting older now am pleased that I have it just a shame I didn't pass it on to my children.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers
Anita
Aussie Researcher

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christian name mystery - Smollett
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Anita, the Smollet's  were landowners on Loch Lomond-side, they had connections with Dumbarton, Tobias Smallet was murdered by the Macgregors in 1604, they were buddiesof the Colquhoun's and , not above a bit of illegality themselves. Tobias Smollet the author is one of them, latterly they were known as the Telfer Smollet's, I used to work with an old guy who was batman to Telfer Smollet, probably the H.L.I. One John Smollet wea a Sheriff in the Lennox in 1513.....Skoosh.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks SKoosh,

I knew of Tobias Smollett, but the other is most interesting.
I wonder why they would have used the name as a girls christian name?
All those in my family and there are about 10 of us that I know are all females.

My search isn't over yet!!!

Cheers
Aussie Researcher

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
A.R it was/is common in Scotland to give boys a parent,grandparent's surname for a first name, I've come across several examples of girls called Lindsay/Hunter/Leslie so the first so called must have been honoured in place of a brother. I suspect that Smollett, once it got into the family, stuck there.  I think the Smollets, had the lands of Bonhill after the Reformation, the family home was Cameron House, now a swanky hotel, one of the family was notorious  for stealing livestock from drovers, the family history is told Irving's "Account of the Family of Smollett of Bonhill" the parish of Bonhill is in Dunbartonshire. Cheers......Skoosh.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
I am positive I have a book in the attic of a collection of Smollets works.  It is very old and I have had it since my mum died in 1969...I think I will have a wee look for it now...I think it may be date late 1800's or early 1900's.  It is rather large....writing very small.
lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 10 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lynda,

Anything that helps solve the mystery.
I've been trying to go back another generation on the family tree, wondering if it was there also.
But that's not an easy task from this side of the world.
With our Smollett Henderson being born in 1800 to Alexander Henderson and Margaret Sked (from Berwick upon Tweed) they married in 1796 in Dunbar, East Lothian.
I know they had 11 children, Smollett being the 3rd born.

Anyone with other suggestion where I might look for more information would be fantastic.

Cheers
Anita
Aussie Researcher

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 March 10 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I also have scottish ancestors and I have found in my lines that quite often the women have a surname as a middle name, which is quite good of them really as it now points me in the right direction!!! I use Scotlands People website as they have most parish records online going quite far back, you have to pay per view but you do get to keep any document you view so although i think it would be better being free i do think it is not bad value for money. Hope this helps.

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline nick t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 12:55 GMT (UK) »
According to a privately printed book about Rev Alexander Reid and his family in NZ, Nga Putake - a Reid Family in New Zealand 1849-1993 by Alice Fieldhouse, the reason for naming Smollett Henderson is not known and may have been inspired by the novelist ofthat name. But interestingly, the Smollett name continued in the Reid family which came to NZ. Smollett Henderson was the brother of Margaret Henderson, who was the second child of Alexander Henderson and Margaret Sked, born 19 November 1798. She married David Reid, a carter of Dean Street, Stockbridge, and Alexander Reid was their first child, born 30 November 1821 and baptised in Cramond Kirk. Alexander Reid was ordained and came to NZ where he was a prominent early Wesleyan missionary. He had a brother, Smollett Reid, who was born in 1829 and went to the Australian goldfields before moving to NZ where he set up as a successful farmer and became a local figure of eminence just south of Auckland. He died in 1901. NT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nick T,
that's so interesting as I didn't know that about that line. I had that Margaret married David Reid and that was it. Are you connected to the branch of the family or just have access to the book? I come down the line from Jean another sister of Margaret.
I'd love to get a copy of the book sounds so interesting.
Thanks for your help, nice to know the name is still going on, in my family, sadly it has stopped with me.