Author Topic: Sgt Matson Hawkes died Madras 1859.  (Read 5172 times)

Offline RosemaryAH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt Matson Hawkes died Madras 1859.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 September 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosemary,

Thank you very much for thinking of my post concerning Matson Hawkes. Potentially, your news could have been cataclysmic as I have now closed my research, having gathered, I believe, all available information about him and his family - the book (The Sum of Us) has been printed and circulated to all members of the family and various genealogical archives. In the process of my research, with the help of many others (some had to be paid) I have built up a remarkable history surrounding dear old Matson. I always thought it strange there is no record of any more offspring attributed to him in India - he was after all so young. Your email initially made me gasp with surprise but with some further research I have to say there is no direct link to him by Wm. Milnes Johnstone or his father Wm. Hawkes Johnstone - Again, thank you very much for your kindness and thoughtfulness - whilst Matson may well be languishing in an unmarked grave in a dilapidated ruined cemetery in Bellary, Madras - certainly he is remembered, for the moment.
Kind regards, James

Hi James
Thank you for your response. I was only googling the guy I found here in Beccles and your thread was the only thing that came up anything like. May be related there somewhere through another line. I'd love to find out what this young chap from India was doing here in a little country town. He died so young and no mention of a mother.

Kind Regards

Rosemary

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 September 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Rosemary

A bit of background from the India records: William Milnes Johnstone's father William Hawkes Johnstone was a station master on the Madras Railway. His mother Evelina Rose Thain married WHJ in Salem, India in 1867. WHJ was born in 1843 at Ootacamund, the illegitimate son of Major Thomas John Milnes Johnstone and Sutchiny, a native woman.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RosemaryAH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 September 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
Rosemary

A bit of background from the India records: William Milnes Johnstone's father William Hawkes Johnstone was a station master on the Madras Railway. His mother Evelina Rose Thain married WHJ in Salem, India in 1867. WHJ was born in 1843 at Ootacamund, the illegitimate son of Major Thomas John Milnes Johnstone and Sutchiny, a native woman.

Thank you for that. If ever you turn up anything else I'd be grateful if you could pass it on to me as I'd love to know more about this young chap I sat on all those years ago.

Kind Regards

Rosemary

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 September 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Might this be why there is no mention of his mother on William Milne's Johnstone's tombstone -

death on familysearch site for an Eveline Rose Johnstone on 27/07/1872 in Bangalore, Madras aged 23  ???

Confirmation on FIBIS site - gives her as "wife of Mr WH Johnstone Madras Railway".
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 September 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
death on familysearch site for an Eveline Rose Johnstone on 27/07/1872

She died of confluent smallpox. The next entry on the burial register is a 5 month-old child of the same name, same cause of death, who died on 10 August 1872.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 September 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Aww what a shame :'(
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline STANGERM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 November 15 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear James

I have just come across this thread & am very interested in learning more about Matson Hawkes - he was my Great Great Grandfather - I would be very interested in purchasing a copy of your book (The Sum of Us) if you could point me in the direction of where I could obtain a copy please. 
I am also trying to find more on when & how his son John William Hawkes came to New Zealand from Tasmania & also where he married Mary Barnett who was born in Ireland.

Kind Regards
Maureen