Author Topic: Berwick Family in Kent  (Read 6450 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berwick Family in Kent
« on: Thursday 03 April 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate children of Joseph and Anne Berwick of Great Mongeham, I don't know Anne's maiden name. Joseph was baptised June 1754 at Great Mongeham, their son Joseph (junior) was born around 1783, he died in Van Diemans Land 1863 aged 80, from stories there may have been 5 or 6 children. I think I have found one of them, Charlotte, bap. 15 Oct 1793 but can,t locate others.
Any help greatly appreciated
regards Craig

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Berwick Family in Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
    Not sure how helpful this will be. Baptisms in Gr. Mongeham - Charlotte. 1797, Stephen 1803, Edward 1807, Joseph 1808, Thomas 1810, all children of Joseph and Ann. Edward and Thomas are transcribed as Barwick. However - Marriage of Joseph Barwick and Ann Graves in Great Mongeham in !806. I can't find Charlotte's baptism 1793, or Joseph around 1783.
     Perhaps someone else will fill the gaps.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 14 13:04 BST (UK) »
I have typed the incorrect year for Charlotte, it was 1797. The son Joseph junior did marry Ann Graves, there seems to be a change in the spelling of the surname from Berwick / Barwick. Their is a possibility that they moved around the local area finding work, I have also searched places like Sholden and Walmer which are close, possibly a Sarah baptised in Sholden. Very hard to trace, there were many Joseph's in Barwick families

regards Craig

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Craig

I have looked at the Parish records for Gt. Mongeham and written below the children of Josph and Anne. There were 17 of them. I wondered if there were two Joseph & Annes but the records are sadly lacking in the marriage details. I considered Joseph's parents being William & Hannah but as their Joseph was baptised in 1754 and your Joseph's last child was born in 1825, it seems unlikely.

Children of Joseph & Anne BERWICKE, BARWICKE and latterly BARWICK, Labourer of Great Mongeham

11/11/1792  Susanna                 29/3/1812  James
  5/4/1795    Margaret                20/1/1814  John
15/10/1797  Charlotte                  2/7/1815  William
25/5/1800    William                   17/11/1816  Richard
30/10/1803  Stephen                 21/3/1819  William
  8/3/1807    Edward                  23/7/1820  Ann
20/11/1808  Joseph                  28/10/1821  Stephen
  5/8/1810   Thomas                 20/7/1823  Elizabeth
                                                 10/4/1825  Andrew

Regards

AJ

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 April 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks AJ
you are correct there were two, Joseph and Anne Berwicke and Joseph their son who used the name Barwick and married Ann Graves in 1806, the children after that date are theirs. Joseph jnr's date and place of birth remain a mistery although I have seen a family tree that listed him as being born in Woburn, Bedford which is north of London, seems a long way away for them to be the same person

regards
Craig

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
This is not a simple answer to your query.  I am just putting down a possible scenario that you may or may not accept.  My contention is that the name Barwick/Berwick might have been erroneously entered as Barret in the Sholden Parish Register between 1779 and 1788.  I won’t try and speculate why.  To reach this conclusion I haven’t just looked at the baptisms to Joseph and Ann but looked into subsequent marriages and in particular the witnesses thereto. ??? ???

I shall start with a marriage in Sholden, followed by baptisms in that Parish.  After that the Parish register Entries are spread a bit wider.

1779 Oct 28 Joseph BARRET to Ann PRESCOT

1780 Apr 9 Mary BARRET d/o Joseph & Ann
1782 Jan 27 William BARRET s/o Joseph & Ann
1783 Jun 1 Joseph BARRET s/o Joseph & Ann
1785 Jul 10 Ann BARRET d/o Joseph & Ann
1787 Sep 16 Hannah BARRET d/o Joseph & Ann
1788 Nov 16 Elizabeth BARRET d/o Joseph & Ann
1790 Jan 3 Sarah BARWICK d/o Joseph & Ann
This last baptism was carried out by a new Vicar, namely Edward Birkett.  The earlier baptisms were all carried out by Thomas Hutchesson.

Great Mongeham
1792 Nov 11 Susanna BERWICKE d/o Joseph & Ann
1795 Apr 5 Margaret BERWICKE d/o Joseph & Ann

1797 Oct 15 Charlotte BERWICK d/o Joseph & Anne
1800 May 25 William BERWICK d/o Joseph & Ann
1803 Oct 30 Stephen BERWICK d/o Joseph & Ann

I have not included Edward baptised in 1807 as he could be from the following generation.

1806 Sep 10 Joseph BERWICK to Ann GRAVES witnessed by Robert Spinner and Mary Barwick.

Deal, St Leonard
1808 Dec 27 Robert SPINNER to Ann BARWICK witnessed by B. Long and the P.C.

1817 Oct 10 Philip FOREMAN to Hannah BARWICK a witness was Joseph Berwick

In particular if you follow Hannah Foreman through census returns she is recorded as being born in Sholden c 1787 and living at Great Mongeham.  There is not a baptism for any Barwick/Berwick in Sholden from 1780 until Sarah’s in 1790.

I haven’t researched all the sibling’s marriages but they may also have been witnessed by other Berwicks or Barwicks!

Other possible marriages are set out below.  Unfortunately, due to problems on another website I haven’t been able to complete the listing of witnesses.

1812 Jul 11 Sarah to John Lawrence at Great Mongeham.  One witness Philip Foreman.
1812 Oct 15 Susanna to Thomas Sutton at Northbourne.
1823 Jul 13 Charlotte to John Bailey at Deal witnesses Joseph Barwick and Margaret Lawrence.
1824 Jan 17 Margaret to John Foreman at Deal.
1833 Jan 12 Stephen to Charlotte Cousins at Great Mongeham.

Just a theory that may, or may not, be worth considering at a later date with further research. ???

Regards,
Tony :)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 April 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
Thanks for that info, and yes I had considered that Barret was an incorrect entry as I did find Joseph Barret 1783 and William Barret 1782 in Sholden. Your listing of the witnesses to the marriages of those children does suggest that they are related and that the surname was recorded incorrectly for whatever reasons. It may be that I never know the full story.

Craig

Offline Moosie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 July 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was Stephen Berwick the son of Joseph and Ann Berwick from Gt Mongehan. He died in 1886 and is buried in the churchyard and his wife Charlotte in 1898.

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 July 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Moosie,
thanks for replying to my post, it's great to find a descendant of  one the Great Mongeham Barwick's.I started the topic because it was stated by researchers here in Tasmania that Stephen's older brother Joseph was born in Woburn, Bedfordshire, I didn't see this as possible. Sholden seems more likely, maybe you can help if you know the family history. Did Stephen have a large family, it seems that most of the Barwick's did, hope to hear from you soon

Craig