Author Topic: WDYTYA The Reality A Letter to BBC  (Read 12204 times)

Offline jobarnesmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA The Reality A Letter to BBC
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Lu - excellent -- and while Milly makes a valid point I think it is important for newbies to know its not all wham! bam! thank you mam!

A one-off programme by the makers of WDYTYA and the BBC could help that loads

;D ;D ;D

The following are the main names we are searching but there are others which are no less important, but too numerous to mention
THOMSON - ABERDEENSHIRE /BANFF  UK/  USA /AUSTRALIA/CANADA AND NZ
ESSON, E(L)MSLIE, RIDDELL
STRONACH ABERDEENSHIRE/BANFF UK/USA/ CANADA/NZ
CLARK - FIFE & ANGUS
STEWART - STIRLINGSHIRE
LIDDLE - STIRLINGSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE
TULLOCH STIRLINGSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE
NEAVE - FORAR, MONTROSE
BOWMAN -FORFAR, (ORIGINALLY DUNFERMLINE)
CRAIK - FORFAR/ANGUS
WINTER - ANGUS

Offline loopylu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
cheers for your support jo
topping middlesex hertfordshire hendon middlesex. barr hammersmith-fulham middlesex
evanglista italy and england
quinnell middlesex and buckinghamshire
jackman buckinghamshire middlesex
stevens buckinghamshire
price london
ender london-speen berkshire
Jackson Buckinghamshire-london
peacock surrey-london

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
The only trouble is it would be very boring if the programme was more truthful. Celebrity orders a certificate. Lots of film of celebrity waiting for the certificate to arrive. Eventually the certificate arrives. It is the wrong certificate. Celebrity's mother says she has some old family photos - two episodes are wasted as mother fails to find them although there is some interesting footage of the mother's attic. Celebrity is told that as they have no interesting ancestors who lived in East Europe but only ag labs from Lincolnshire the programme is going to be shelved ......    ;)  ;D

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
The thing is that we're talking about celebrities here and, as we all know, these are people who, in real life have gophers (go fors!) to do all their running about ! At the end of the programme they have all their history on a plate - with none of the satisfaction of finding anything out for themselves!
I actually feel sorry for them!( OK! Almost!) Everyone here knows the pleasure of finding that elusive relative after hours/days/weeks of searching, or finding the connection that ties up all the loose ends in a particular family branch. They don't, and probably never will. Our search is the more satisfying for it.

The bottom line is that the show is entertainment, and has set many a person on the journey back through time. The ones with no staying power will fall by the wayside - the ones that are left are in for a history lesson unlike anything they were taught at school and all the more interesting because the people they are reseaching are people they can relate to.

Maybe a voice-over at the end of the show to let viewers know that research is a long, sometimes tedious, drawn out process would help.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Ceryswyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
The only trouble is it would be very boring if the programme was more truthful. Celebrity orders a certificate. Lots of film of celebrity waiting for the certificate to arrive. Eventually the certificate arrives. It is the wrong certificate. Celebrity's mother says she has some old family photos - two episodes are wasted as mother fails to find them although there is some interesting footage of the mother's attic. Celebrity is told that as they have no interesting ancestors who lived in East Europe but only ag labs from Lincolnshire the programme is going to be shelved ......    ;)  ;D

Carole

They don't have to show all he waiting around, just mention it at least. A line such as "Well it took a few tries and a bit of expense to find the right one but here is my Great aunt aggies birth cert" would do the trick.
Gilbert ~ London, Essex.
Nutt ~ Sussex England, Ayrshire Scotland, Ireland.
Scully, Richards, Stepney, Goble ~ Sussex.
James ~ London, Essex, Sussex, Pembrokeshire.
Lochhead ~ Ayrshire/ Nielston Renfrewshire Scotland.
Dunn, Airdry/Airdrie ~ Ayrshire Scotland, Donaghadee Ireland.
McCreadie, McQuaters/McWaters ~ Ireland
More to follow.

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 May 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
How about suggesting a one-off "How Did We Do Who Do You Think You Are" :) with its catchy abbreviation HDYDWDYTYA. ;)

They should film every step, each clip dated and timed and then only throw away the really boring stuff. Substitute those with ... 18 fruitless telephone calls later ... or  ... six hours later and still turning pages ... or something.

I'd love to hear about every blind alley, along with what they stumbled upon while getting there. They could explain the techniques they are using and which databases they are consulting. I'd be fascinated and I think it would be quite a hit. I'd hope all the extra detail they left out of the episode.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Ceryswyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 May 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
hehe that'd be awesome Paul. I love the catchy title!
Gilbert ~ London, Essex.
Nutt ~ Sussex England, Ayrshire Scotland, Ireland.
Scully, Richards, Stepney, Goble ~ Sussex.
James ~ London, Essex, Sussex, Pembrokeshire.
Lochhead ~ Ayrshire/ Nielston Renfrewshire Scotland.
Dunn, Airdry/Airdrie ~ Ayrshire Scotland, Donaghadee Ireland.
McCreadie, McQuaters/McWaters ~ Ireland
More to follow.

Offline AlexLiggins

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • 1940 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 May 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
I still think tje Beeb should have gone ahead with a Programme about Parky (Michael Parkinson) instead of branding  him as 'boring
'I'm still with you Lu.
 I seem to remember the early programmes on BBC2 explained a lot more..

Alex
Leitch, Menzies. Liggins,King,Heath,Elliott Adam, \Tosh,Nicoll

Coventry, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Dundee, Angus, Perthshire Aberfeldy, Scone,Fortingall, Dull.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 May 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
They had these complaints sent to them already and answered them in the official Who Do You Think You Are Mag, to the effect of they have to balance the need to cram everything in and entertain with the need to educate. They did show more in the first sereies, but now consider the magazine as providing  extras and background.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London