Author Topic: Reilly Ancestors - Please can anyone help?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Katie_Pettie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Reilly Ancestors - Please can anyone help?
« on: Sunday 17 August 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I am seeking a bit of help, and also wondering if there is anyone else who may have or maybe looking for information on a Cornelius Reilly (not sure if the Reilly spelling is correct).

Cornelius, was the father of my 2nd Great Grandmother Mary Reilly, she was born I think about 1845 in Co. Cork. Mary married John Robertson in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1867. I have found Mary's mother, I think as an Alison Reilly who was also born in Ireland but died in Edinburgh.

As well as Mary; Cornelius and Alison had two other children John born about 1848 and Annie born in Ireland in 1852 - Annie married a Thomas Whellan, in Edinburgh.

I am struggling to find any information on both Cornelius and Alison, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Katie
Researching
Paternal Line: Edinburgh/Scotland -Pettie/Watson/Jenkinson/Rodgers/Martin/Robertson/Rielly/Johnstone

Maternal Line: Yorkshire/Cumbria/Northumberland area -Milburn/Bycroft/Kirkwood/Coffel/Giblin/Morton/Holdsworth/Marshall

Also searching Partner's family names of:
Andrews/Cornthwaite/Utley/Bradley

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly Ancestors - Please can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Can you just clarify where you got the name Alison from ?

Tara

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 August 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There appear to be ten men in Co. Cork with the name Cornelius Reilly about that time. See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Regards

Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

The Alison Reilly on the 1871 Census in Gorgie Cottages, what do you have that says she is the mother of Mary Reilly ?

What records do you have to say that the family were from Cork ?

On Mary's marriage cert, what occupation is given for her father Cornelious ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 August 14 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

Ok So, I can see your tree online so the Cornelious / Alison (Alice) thing all seems to add up.

The only thing that I can't see is a reference to Cork on any of the paperwork.

Can You ?

Tara

Offline Katie_Pettie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 August 14 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your replies to my post.

I cannot remember where I found the Cork connection, I'm not sure if it was from a notification on Ancestry. - I think it was a tree notification, so this could be wrong.

I got Alison's name from Ann's marriage, although the information on Mary's marriage and death it looks like it could be Alice.

On Mary's marriage Cornelius is down as a general labourer, on her death he is listed just as a labourer and on Ann's marriage he is listed as being a farmer labourer.

I'm trying to upload the documents I have but it is saying my files are too large.

Katie
Researching
Paternal Line: Edinburgh/Scotland -Pettie/Watson/Jenkinson/Rodgers/Martin/Robertson/Rielly/Johnstone

Maternal Line: Yorkshire/Cumbria/Northumberland area -Milburn/Bycroft/Kirkwood/Coffel/Giblin/Morton/Holdsworth/Marshall

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 August 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

There a quite a lot of old Cork church records online on irishgenealogy and rootsireland BUT not all of Cork so it's possible that the family were from a parish that has not yet gone online.

If you can try and route out where you got Cork from for a start as I just worry that sometimes people hear the Christian name Cornelious and presume Cork as it IS where it's commonly found but not exclusively.

Secondly, when doing searches please also use the name Con as it was usually what this name was shortened to.

Thirdly Alison was not really a Cork name of the time but Alice was and given that she also used that on some paperwork I would use that mainly, yet not exclusively when doing searches.

I don't suppose you stumbled across a possible maiden name for Alice ?

Did you track John and Ann to later census to see if a specific part of Ireland was mentioned ?

Tara

Offline Katie_Pettie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 August 14 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tara for your help.

I've not been able to find a maiden name for Alice and looking back in my paper work, I have found Ann living with Mary and her family in the 1881 census and it actually states Ann was born in Edinburgh, so that is an error on my part. I've tried to find a birth for her in Scotland but haven't been successful.

I did find John Reilly on the FamilySearch website, however having gone back on there to retrace my information, I haven't been able to find anything.

I don't seem to be doing too well with all this.
Researching

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 August 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

Don't fret, we all make mistakes.

I can only suggest that you sit down with ALL your paperwork and do up a mini timeline to see can you trace the family's starting point in Scotland.

Go back over all the records for each person and see where they say they were born on each one.

For example, with Anne is ALL her records state that she was born in Edinburgh then it's likely that Con died there and not in Ireland.

If Anne was the last of the children born, then check all records for Mary & John ~ Do they ALL state that they were born in Ireland ?

Then you have your timeline narrowed as to when Mary & John were born in Ireland, to when the family moved to Scotland and then Anne was born.

IF this is the case, then Anne is your best bet to look for HER baptism in Scotland on scotlandspeople.

Again, these are all just scenarios based on you regoing through ALL your paperwork and getting a timeline for the family in place.

Good Luck

Tara