Author Topic: Tasmania BDM  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tasmania BDM
« on: Monday 12 November 12 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find any record of ancestor Robert Robertson who was in Hobart Town with the 99th Regiment of Foot in 1851, then in the 12th Reg. of Foot around 1856, then he and wife Janet, children Robert, Nicholas, Alexander, James and Mary are back in Scotland for the 1861 Census, where he is recorded as a Chelsea Pensioner. By the 1871 Scottish Census his wife (who has mysteriously been renamed 'Mary', but the link to the children confirms it is the correct family) is a widow. His son Alexander later endows St. Bartholomew's Church in Gourock with a commemorative brass eagle lectern dedicated to 'Robert Robertson (Hobart)' which makes me wonder if Robert made his way back to Tasmania before he died? The Tasmanian BDM site now appears to say I cannot search for BDM results on that site, but I know I could do so in the past. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania BDM
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 12 03:58 GMT (UK) »

The Tasmanian BDM site now appears to say I cannot search for BDM results on that site, but I know I could do so in the past.

Colonial Tasmanian Family Links database:

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=8

Offline ken.larbalestier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Boomeranger,

Corporal (849) Robert Robertson, 99th Regiment,  transferred into the 12th Regiment with the rank of Private (3716). Robertson was one of 185 volunteers of the 99th Regiment who transferred into the 1st Battalion 12th Regiment on the 1st November 1855 while stationed in Hobart, Tasmania, and prior to the 99th’s departure from Australia to England. 

I am not sure when Robertson returned to England and took his discharge. However, Robertson returned to Western Australia as an Enrolled Pensioner (rank private) in 12th September 1864, as a guard of convicts on the ship Merchantman.

I have copies of two letters that Robertson wrote to his father while she was tationed in Australia..pls refer to website

larbalapplication.appspot.com

This a site dedicated to the 12th Regiment.

Pls email me if I may be of further assistance.

Regards,

Ken

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
Death of a Robert Robertson (born Scotland) in Hobart 1878 #1233 -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-35346-8972-16?cc=2125029&wc=M7HG-4NL:387523701,387590301,387607701

Appears to have been buried in a paupers grave at Cornelian Bay as Robinson, Robert -

http://server2.admin.millingtons.com.au:81/ASP/search_details.asp?RecordID=2006

Cheers,

Peter

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 July 14 05:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your info Ken, I have attempted to send you my records regarding Robert Robertson direct to your website email address.

Peter, thanks for that, I am dubious that this is 'my' Robert Robertson, as his birthdate was 1817, but who knows!

Also, someone sent me a message a while back (which I can't find, are old RootsChat responses filed in a special section?), which said there was a possibility Robert Robertson died in Mauritius. I would appreciate that link again, if anyone can help.

Offline theotherone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Boomeranger,
I am a teacher at Albuera Street Primary School across the road from Anglesea Barracks in Hobart and have a collaborative funded project with the military museum there to develop an education resource. It is through looking for information for this that I came across information on Robert Robertson written by Ken who has replied to your message. (Thanks Ken). I was particularly interested in Robertson as his son, James, broke his leg falling down the stairs in the Barracks and would have been taken to the military hospital there. Part of the education resource features profiles on children at the Barracks over the years and I am hoping to include James and his siblings in these profiles so any information you have in terms of dates of birth, etc. would be useful in developing a chronology of their life and linking that to the broader events that happened while they were at the Barracks, I know James was the youngest son when a letter was written in 1856 just after he broke his leg (thanks to Ken) but don't have a great deal more information apart from general info on the movement of the regiments Robertson was in. I am also interested in providing information on what became of these children in their later lives. Any help you (or Ken) could provide would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged in the final resource.
Regards,
David

Offline theotherone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
I neglected to mention in my last message that you can send an email to the email address on the school website requesting it be directed to me. http://education.tas.edu.au/albuerastreetprimary/Pages/home.aspx. I will then reply using my own email rather than posting it publically on this site.
Regards,
David Boon

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 September 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
You can contact Ken via email:
ken.larbalestier[AT]yahoo.com.au

His website:
http://larbalapplication.appspot.com