Author Topic: Tasmania BDM  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania BDM
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 September 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello David, your project sounds very interesting and I will be very pleased to help in any way I can. I emailed your school contact last night marked your attention. The very comprehensive links given by Merlin to all my past 'pleadings' for information on RootsChat will open to cover virtually all the information I have to date, but I do have a few other snippets, including a photo of my great grandfather Alexander who would have attended the school. Taken as a 60+ year old man, not a schoolboy, however! Maybe your research will turn up some old class photos of the era, that would be fun. I'm always amazed how far back in time there was photography. Cheer, Andrew

Offline theotherone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 September 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Merlin,
Thanks for the additional information. This will be extremely useful in piecing together the chronology of the family against the events they lived through while at the Barracks.

Andrew,
I will follow up with an email when your message is forwarded by the office staff. I am not aware of any school photos of the time but there are certainly photos and paintings of the Barracks at various periods which I will send copies of and will let you know what else I discover. The building that was the hospital built between 1818 and the mid 1820s is still in existence and now used by the army as a private residence (usually for the commanding officer) I have found references to a schoolroom at the Barracks but need to do more research on this.

Regards,
David

Offline theotherone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 September 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Andrew,

Just clarifying that the school I am currently at has been on this site since the 1950s and replaced an earlier one across Albuera Street that opened in 1914. One of the things I am hoping to discover is whether the children of the military in earlier times were educated at the Barracks or at the Battery Point School (which itself had two sites - one attached to St Georges Church from around 1849 and one in Hamden Road from the early 1880s). The Barracks has part of it's land fronting Albuera Street and the 1914 school is beside the Barracks buildings.

I will be in touch.
Regards,
David

Offline theotherone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 September 14 02:01 BST (UK) »
Andrew,
This article from 1854 shows that there was a school for the children at the Barracks. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2240306?searchTerm=barracks school&searchLimits=l-state=Tasmania|||l-decade=185
Regards,
David

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 September 14 15:33 BST (UK) »
I am unconvinced that his wife changed her name from Janet to Mary.

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hello TheTowers, I assume you are referring to an earlier posting of mine where I quoted  the records of the 1871 Scottish Census? I am not suggesting Janet ('Jessie') Robertson changed her name, it is clearly a transcription error made by the census taker, or maybe it was daughter Mary who answered the door and got confused over the question!  All the other details, i.e. Mary C, daughter, 21, born Hobart Town Tasmania; Alexander P, son, 23, dentist assistant, born Sydney NSW; James A, 18, student Anderson University, born Hobart Town Tasmania, are quite correct, but nonetheless the first line of the record states Mary Robertson, head, widow, 56, born England.

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 October 14 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, the Robert ROBINSON who was buried at Cornelian Bay Cemetery in 1878 was aged 70 yrs of age and his last address was the Brickfields.  He is buried in a pauper's grave and there are two other men in that grave a Richard Bowden and Robert Cox.

The other death for Robert ROBINSON aged 56 yrs was in 1887 and he is buried with a Charlotte ROBINSON aged 86 (she died in 1889).

Webby
Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 October 14 07:34 BST (UK) »
The surname is ROBERTSON not Robinson, different people.

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 October 14 07:40 BST (UK) »
Spelling of both ROBINSON/ROBERTSON varied from the Pioneer Index to the Cemetery Index.  Both had the same date.....6/5/1878 - yes the other Robert's name was spelt ROBINSON.  Not everyone could spell in those days!.

Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset