Author Topic: marriage cert  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
marriage cert
« on: Monday 21 July 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Can anyone help?

I'm looking for the marriage cert of John Clarke and Sarah Goodfellow.

I know they married on 22/6/1866 at Castleblaney, Monaghan, Ireland. I found it on the Family Search Index and I also found the Index for their marriage on Find My Past Index. :)

My Problem is that I have tried to find their marriage cert on  Groni Online  so that I can view the document, however it does not seem to be listed. I have tried name variants and slightly different dates but nothing at all. ???

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Nina

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marriage cert
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
I have a similar problem!

Apparently not all marriages made it onto the Civil Register ::)
The marriage I am looking at was a Catholic marriage, with no parents listed.

I emailed GRONI, who did a search, but failed to find it! :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
Since Castleblayney is not in Northern Ireland you would be better looking on

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

However this is currently offline because of privacy issues related to the records of living individuals.  Failing that a visit to PRONI would be needed assuming you know the church involved.  PRONI does hold records of Monaghan churches.

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 July 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just done a search on the Ireland BMD Index on the Family search website , as I am presuming you did, for marriage of "Sarah Goodfellow" in 1866 and same for "John Clarke" and got a matching reference, i.e the marriage should be listed in the Register for Castleblaney, Ireland, year 1866, vol 6 page 489. As I will be actually in the GRO  Office in Wegburgh St, Dublin later today, I will see if they have any better luck in accessing the Marriage Cert on their system.

Will report success or failure later !!

Meath999

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 July 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

Much appreciated

Nina  :)

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi 
Just saw another reply to my post  ::)

Thank you all for your advice and help.

Nina :)

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 July 14 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosina,
As promised I visited the GRO Office in Werburgh Street in Dublin this afternoon, filled in the form requesting a photocopy of the Marriage Register Entry

Name - Goodfellow, Sarah
Entry Type- Marriage
Year - 1866
Volume - 6
Page - 489,
Registration District - Castleblaney

Handed the clerk the form with the 4 Euro fee and in two minutes I have a photocopy of the full Marriage Register entry in my hand.  Success !!!! If you send me contact details by PM I can get it to you .

As to why your request to GRO office in Northern Ireland was unsuccessful I can only speculate. The most obvious answer is as Glensman says, that Castleblaney is in County Monaghan which is in the Republic not in Northern Ireland, so possibly the records are only kept there. However the whole area of historical records  is complicated as pre 1922, the whole island of Ireland was administered from Dublin, and the final repositary for all BMD Registers was Dublin. Then after 1922 when 26 counties of Ireland became independent, they continued to be administered from Dublin, but the 6 counties making up Northern Ireland were administered from then on from Belfast. So far so good ....  from 1922 all BMD records registered in the Republic are in Dublin, and those in the North are in Belfast .

But what of the Registers from  the 1860s up to 1922.?

Well the Index Books to these records contain entries for the whole of Ireland, and are on the shelves in the GRO Building in Werburgh St. in Dublin accessible to visitors for a fee...( these are the index books that the Mormons microfilmed in the 1950s and which form the basis of the BMD records you find on Familysearch ...) And once the Index Entry is found, the GRO clerk only can access the Register pages and produce the requested cert.

So to summarise , I am fairly confident that one can get  copy certs for BMDs up to 1922, for any part of Ireland , from Werburgh Street walk in Office or by post from their central Office in Roscommon.( don't ask !) . I just don't know what the situation is for the GRONI . Perhaps someone can clarify it for us.

Cheers
Meath999   

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 July 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Meath 999

I have sent you a private message. I think ::)

If it hasn't worked let me know.

thank you for all your help
Rosina  :)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 July 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
With regard to which records are where:

GRONI have records for the six counties of Northern Ireland from 1845/1864;

GRO in Dublin/Roscommon have records for all of Ireland from 1845/1864 to 1921; and for the 26 counties of ROI from that date.