Author Topic: High Sherriff's  (Read 29010 times)

Offline JustinTLH

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: High Sherriff's
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 May 08 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just done a Google search for Temple Laugherne and found this website and forum.
I've lived at Temple Laugherne House for 24 years and I'd be more than willing to help you with any information you might need.
Temple Laugherne Was built in 1133 by the Knights Templar and was the headquarters for their activities in Mercia. The immediate estate was approx 3,600 acres and the original building was capable of housing 1,300 Templar Knights and associated staffing at any one time. The property has been reduced in size over the years (a good place to see it is Google Earth) and although it still has all its charm and is a sizable property, it's nowhere near its original size.
Folklore claims there is an ancient tunnel that links Temple Laugherne to Worcester Cathedral, but to date no tunnels have been found at Temple Laugherne's end. Worcester Cathedral's Library holds extensive information on the property, including past owners and associated coats of arms.

The "St. John in Bed" that you mention is St. John in Bedwardine, Bedwardine being a very old name for the area, now referred to as "St. Johns". This is the closest housing area to Temple Laugherne, approx a mile or so from the property.

A good place to start researching past High Sherriffs of Worcester would be to Worcester City Council. We have had high sheriffs in Worcester until just a couple of years ago (not sure if we have one now) but the last person to hold the position was Andrew Grant, a well respected and very successful estate agent in the area.

I hope this helps you a little,

All the best.

Offline vegnomeat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 November 08 12:12 GMT (UK) »
A list detailing all former High Sheriffs of Worcester is located  within the Shire Hall, a window is dedicated to each.

I live in the Lodge for Temple Laugherne house, which I assume would have been the manor house.

Regards

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 November 08 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I knew there was a plaque in the shire hall but never knew the sherrifs each had a window dedicated to them - I must go & have a look on one of my visits to Worcestershire as one of the sherrifs is on my tree - cant remember the christiaan name of the top of my head but the surname is Holliday (he was also one of the lord chamberlaians of Worcestershsire

All the very best

Phil
ps I have a photocopy made at the History Centre of the sherrifs of Worcester if anyone is interested I will send them the details (but not in scanned format)
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline powergen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: High Sherriff'sI have lived at temple Laugherne, Broadheath Worcs approx 40y
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 06 August 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just done a Google search for Temple Laugherne and found this website and forum.
I've lived at Temple Laugherne House for 24 years and I'd be more than willing to help you with any information you might need.
Temple Laugherne Was built in 1133 by the Knights Templar and was the headquarters for their activities in Mercia. The immediate estate was approx 3,600 acres and the original building was capable of housing 1,300 Templar Knights and associated staffing at any one time. The property has been reduced in size over the years (a good place to see it is Google Earth) and although it still has all its charm and is a sizable property, it's nowhere near its original size.
Folklore claims there is an ancient tunnel that links Temple Laugherne to Worcester Cathedral, but to date no tunnels have been found at Temple Laugherne's end. Worcester Cathedral's Library holds extensive information on the property, including past owners and associated coats of arms.

The "St. John in Bed" that you mention is St. John in Bedwardine, Bedwardine being a very old name for the area, now referred to as "St. Johns". This is the closest housing area to Temple Laugherne, approx a mile or so from the property.

A good place to start researching past High Sherriffs of Worcester would be to Worcester City Council. We have had high sheriffs in Worcester until just a couple of years ago (not sure if we have one now) but the last person to hold the position was Andrew Grant, a well respected and very successful estate agent in the area.

I hope this helps you a little,

All the best.

Offline climar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 August 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
i also lived in this house from early 1962 to 1968 along with the godsell family the story of the tunnel is extremely intriguing as i can remember their being a flight of stairs at the back of the house which went down beside the large backroom where the well is these stairs were always flooded and we always thought this was because the water was coming in through the side wall off the well

Offline powergen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 15 August 09 09:11 BST (UK) »
I am Ann Godsall would you like to say who you are when we lived there there was clive, marion, dawn michael, malcom, sissons, linda and gordon, and jennifer and my sister lesley

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 March 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

I posted a message on here about Richard Harrison of Temple Langhern and was directed to this thread.

I have been trying to establish a link between the Harrison family and the family of a friend for whom I do a lot of research.
Members of my friend's family have certain items in their possession, one is a silhouette of a gentleman with Richard Harrison, High Sheriff of Worcester written on the back.  Also another family member has a painting on his wall of a very distinguished gentleman in military uniform who I believe is John Christopher Harrison.
Yet another family member gave my friend an envelope containing papers connected with William Henry Harrison (1866-1916).  William was married to Annie Chown and two of his sons, Victor William Harrison and Cyril Henry Harrison were in the Royal Flying Corps in WW1, Cyril being killed in action.  There were also several daughters.

So far I have not found any connection between my friend's family and the Harrisons and there is only one person with the name Harrison in the family tree.  She was Elsie Constance Harrison whose second husband was Godfrey Creswick Jackson (my friend being descended from the Jackson family).  Coincidentally, Godfrey and Elsie lived in Australia for a while and Elsie's 3 sons from her first marriage, took the name Creswick.  After Godfrey's death, Elsie remained in Australia and her sons married and had families there.

There must be a connection otherwise why would my friend's family have these items.  One cousin was brought up believing these people were her ancestors but has no other information. 

As you are researching Richard Harrison of Temple Langhern, I am wondering if you know are connected to the Harrisons mentioned above?

I am happy to communicate by private message if you prefer.
Thank you.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 08 March 14 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Its worth looking for your ancestor who was high sherriff's funeral as in Berrows Worcerster Journal as there may well be a list of all the mourners which could at least let you know if someeone of the name you are seeking to link was at the funeral.  This worked for me when looking at the funeral account of Charles James Holliday a descendant of mine who was also a High Sheriff of Worcester

Good Luck

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 March 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that tip, Philheeks.

I expect I will have to go to the local record office to search that.

Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others