Author Topic: Which Pub in Merthyr 1841?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Pub in Merthyr 1841?
« on: Sunday 10 June 07 14:54 BST (UK) »
I'm presuming this 1841 hamlet is now part of Merthyr. Has anyone any idea of which tavern John Thomas worked in?  In 1851 census his wife was widowed and she and the children were living elsewhere on parish relief
----
1841 CENSUS
District Name: Merthyr Tydfil     
Enumeration District: 11 Heolwermod Hamlet
Piece: 1415/10      Folio: 022     Schedule: 015
Address: HIGH STREET
THOMAS JOHN        31   PUBLICAN
-----   

Thanks for any pointers,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Which Pub in Merthyr 1841?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena :)
Heolwermod was near to St Tydfils Church at the botton of Merthyr Town. I don't know much more, but did notice that someone else was asking about a pub in the hamlet of Heolwermod on the Old Merthyr Tydfil forum - a section of Alan and Geoffs Old Merthyr. Alan, one of the administrators had replied regarding a pub called the Star Inn.
http://oldmerthyr1.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=pubs&action=display&thread=1142225435

regards
Margaret :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 07 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
Thanks for the use of your eagle eyes  :D
I sure am grateful.  Poor John Thomas was dead by 1845 and must only have been in his 30's - not a very good advert for the brewery!

Cheers,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
I agree with Margaret; it would be the lower end of High Street near the parish church. But there were umpteen pubs in Merthyr then, not to mention all the "beer sellers" who served people from their own houses.

My ancestors ran about a dozen pubs in the Merthyr borough (so far, I'm sure the number will increase) and the one thing they have in common is that none of them still exist - even the one I lived in when I was seven  :'(

Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gareth,
I once made a list of some possibles on the high street - think I got to 26 pubs!! 
I'm hoping one day some more real ale fanatics will emulate the Norfolk Pub site and list the history of every tavern with tenant landlords and ales sold.  I'm pretty sure that at least one inn in the Merthyr region would have been at one end of the east/west and north/south drovers trails and wouldn't that be good background information for fam. history.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Rena