Author Topic: Brae & Smallrigg  (Read 9585 times)

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Brae & Smallrigg
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar

It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many people on RootsChat who will go out of their way for someone else, thank you very much.

The original and digital versions of the 1841 census I already have and there should be 13 people listed, the one next to last, William Bryden, is my gggrandfather.

What has really amazed me is that you found Marianne (Mary Ann) Jamieson's birth, was the year 1845 by any chance?. She doesn't appear on any other census until 1881 in Cumberland (age 36) where she is working at a hotel, but by 1891 she's gone, possibly married and moved on.

Apart from the 1841 census, I will really appreciate it if you would send me the other items, I will PM you my e-mail address.

I wonder if you (and any others) can work your magic with this problem which I just cannot solve:
William Bryden was born 18 October 1839 at Brae. Monica Leslie did a superb job of finding his birth under the name Brydane. The parents are given as John Brydane and Jane Dinwoodie (she was a busy girl), but I have had no luck finding the father.
I know from William's marriage certificate and various documents that the surname is definately Bryden and he gives his father's occupation as Ironmonger, this was in 1865, William moved to England after the 1851 census.

I have no idea how old John would have been in 1839, but assumed a similar age to Jane and managed to find one instance, born in 1818 in Johnstone, father William. mother Grizel Thorburn. I found his mother on the 1841 census, but no John and he doesn't appear on any other, unless he moved away. This could of course be one of those instances where he can never be found.

Again, many thanks.

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 August 07 08:50 BST (UK) »
Silly me! ::)

Marianne was born in 1844.

May I suggest that you add the surnames you are looking for, to the initial subject line. You'll get more looking at it. I'd put Dinwoodie and Bryden on it.

Yes, I am amazed at the help I have had, also. I think we do it, as it's all a challenge. Also, we know the excitement we feel when we find a member of our own family, so we can relate to how others feel.

Scans on the way in a mo.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 August 07 09:38 BST (UK) »
I'm a little confused with the Bryden.

You say William moved to England after the 1851 census. I can't find him on the '51 census. He'd be 11, yes?

There is a William Bryden aged 22 who is an ironmonger, on the '51 census. As occupations often run in the family, there could be a connection to John.

Was Jane D. married to John?

When was Jane D. born?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that I am not ignoring the posting from Jamjar, I have been in contact via e-mail.

Mike

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Please see attached images of the Brae.

Regards,
Jak  :D
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak

Very many thanks for the photos, I appreciate your trouble.

Mike

Offline farish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
Three of David and Agnes's children married into the Johnstones of Garrel, Kirkmichael. James ( a farmer) married Jane Johnstone, David (a grocer) married Elizabeth Park Johnstone while Agnes married John Johnstone and remarried after his death while another child Margaret Dinwoodie married Herbert Renwick of Lochwood who was the Johnstone's uncle. My interest is through the second youngest Johnstone who was my great grandmother. After Herbert Renwick died at Lochwood in 1881, several of the above were with Margaret at Lochwood although the 1881 census does not specify all relationships - but Jane Dinwoodie (Johnstone) was there along with Agnes Johnstone (Dinwoodie) and Margaret Telford who was Margaret's niece probably the daughter of sister Jane. Elizabeth Park Dinwoodie died at Brae in 1912 and her death was reported by her son George

shankland,farish,vallance, renwick, hastie