Author Topic: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents  (Read 31799 times)

Offline happygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurence Walls/Wells is my great great grandfather, born c1810 Dumfries?, married Martha Kirkpatrick 2nd May 1841 and died 24th January 1867 at Gateside of Trench, Dumfries. If this is the person you are looking for please get in touch and I will see if ~I can help. They did have a son John born in 1846 but I do not have a lot of info on John, but I have more on the rest of the family.
Little Prince

Hi, I saw your post on this thread while I was looking for my gg grandfather William wells. I found him on the 1851 census living with mother Martha in gateside of trench, and in the 1841 census living with mother Martha and father Laurence. So I think that your Laurence is my ggg grandfather. at the moment I'm unable to find birth record for William in about 1841-44, and wondered if you had anything. Thanks, Jean
Hi Jean 1861 census
Martha  head 40 born Lochmaben died 1898
William son age 19 b.Dfs
Catherine Daugh 17
Mary Ann daugh 13
Laurence son  11 died 1918
Thomas son 9
Francis son 7
 Martha daugh 5 died 8/4/1878 age 22 her son Arthur died 6/4/1878 age 6days
Jane 2

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again Happy girl.

I am trying to link the Irish Walls together as well.
Laurence  married to Martha and Laurence pig dealer are different generations as you probably have worked out. There is also another Laurence who moved to Edinburgh. All 3 Born between 1800 and 1816 ish.
Laurence married to Martha went to Edinb to visit his uncle Laurence in one of the census records.
Laurence from Edinburgh's parents were John Walls and Bridget McCane (McKean). This would make Edinburgh Laurence and Michael Walls from Dumfries brothers. Which would make John Walls and Bridget McCane Michael's parents.
My link is with Arthur -  the name appears in all the Irish families. He would have been born about 1790 to 1800. I have found two but don,t know which one it is.
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline jeanc19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
thanks for your replies concerning William wells and Laurence wells.
I think I have found Laurence and wife Martha in the 1841 census, which would have been taken about a month after their marriage, they were in a location called Isle of Manmoss, Dumfries. Does anyone know anything about this address. I tried googling it but didn't come up with anything.
Thanks
Jean

Offline littleprince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
It is near Gateside of Trench, I think I found it in the library.

Gillian
Saunderson- Dumfries, Edinburgh & South Africa
McClure, Neisham, Walls, Beck- Dumfries
Nicholson, Scott - Berwick upon Tweed
Ross- Dumfries, Peebles
McDonnell - Ireland, Co Durham
McGuire - Ireland, Co Durham

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 April 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
I do not have the parents of Laurence, but I found a distant relation on another genealogy forum, she employed a professional to research and they came up with a Michael Wells as Laurences father. Apparently Michael came over from Ireland in the early 1800`s. I do not know if Laurence had any brothers or sisters, so cannot help with the John. In the 1861 census Laurence was in Edinburgh staying with his uncle Laurence and his family.

Little Prince

Hi little prince

been looking at your posts. The  John who married Martha was only 6 years older than John Wells, and uncle Laurence onle 12 years older than John. So neither would be John's father.  I have a sneeky feeling the name on the death register for John is a mistake. It was supplied by his son in law, who did not know Johns's Mother.

I think the key here is to learn more about Michael Walls (Wells) when he came from Ireland in early 1800's.  What info do you have, when, who with how the data was found ? If you can help with something I can look further

Bluebike
Wells (Walls), Kerr, McMurdo - Dumfries
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 29 April 13 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have the info on Arthur Wells and Sarah Kennedy (thanks). I believe that their children Ann and Michael were living with Michael Wells (from Ireland) in 1841. N B There was at least one other child living with Michael other than his own children (who was his Grandson) listed on the census in 1841. There is also another Irish Walls/Wells family in dumfries in 1841- Patrick and Elizabeth- where the Arthur name crops up again.

Re the Ireland connection, I wondered if there had been a name alteration when they came over the sea. The name Walsh/Welsh is very, very popular in Ireland.

I will also keep looking and will post here if I get any more info.

Best wishes

hello wattnb (norma?)

thanks for your post.

ref 1841 census for Michael Wells, I have him living at Locharside, looks like the family are involved in peat cutting. He has children, James, Peter,Thomas, Jean, William Francis ages from 20 to 5. Then more children, Mary, James, Ann and Michael, ages 10 to 5.

Is this the census that you refer to? Are the last 4  Arthur and Sarah's? If so how do you know, because I cannot see any relationships on this census.....
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline littleprince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bluebike 1

There are no relationships recorded on the 1841 census. The only John Walls that I have in my family tree is Laurence and Martha`s son, John, born in Dumfries in 1846.

Little Prince
Saunderson- Dumfries, Edinburgh & South Africa
McClure, Neisham, Walls, Beck- Dumfries
Nicholson, Scott - Berwick upon Tweed
Ross- Dumfries, Peebles
McDonnell - Ireland, Co Durham
McGuire - Ireland, Co Durham

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bluebike 1

There are no relationships recorded on the 1841 census. The only John Walls that I have in my family tree is Laurence and Martha`s son, John, born in Dumfries in 1846.

Little Prince

thanks,   

John Wells /Elizabeth Kirpatrick  are in mine and happygirls line. his son Thomas had three sons the first is happygirls greatgrandfather, the third is my great grandfather. We are both looking for parents of John. The death certificate says Laurence Wells pig dealer.  The Laurence who narried Martha is not old enough. Laurence's Uncle Laurence  in Edinburgh is also not old enough.

I have a theory that Johns father is either Michael Wells or Walls, or connected to him.  Do you have any further details about Michael Wells ( or Walls ) that came from Ireland in early 1800's?

Bluebike1
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 October 13 16:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone suggest a family tree template we could use as I think that we all have some of the pieces of this Walls family tree and if we all put verified info into it we might see the picture more clearly. ;D
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier