Author Topic: Lockerbie Newspapers - WALSH  (Read 3457 times)

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lockerbie Newspapers - WALSH
« on: Saturday 08 February 14 16:30 GMT (UK) »
My brother Graham Roscoe Walsh died in a fatal road accident on the 29th August 1976 on the A74 approx. half a mile south of a service road leading to Pennersaughs Farm. At the time of his death his children were quite young and not given much information about what had happened  and it is now that they are wanting more information. They have asked me to help as I do family research but to be honest I am only just learning the differences  in the procedures in Scotland. I have written to the Procurator Fiscal and the National Archives of Scotland but as a Fatal Accident inquiry was not appropriate no records are still retained.

As I understand it the only other possible avenue of further information is if any local newspaper printed an article about the accident. Does anyone know which, if any newspapers are likely to contain any information and where it would be held. Is it possible that anyone visiting the archive could look if there are any articles. The 29/8/1976 was a Sunday and in England the following day was a bank holiday though I am not sure if it was in Scotland. Any help would be much appreciated
Thank you
Linda Hindley
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lockerbie Newspapers - WALSH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 February 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

Have you tried Dumfries & Galloway Archives?

Www.dumgal.gov.UK/index.aspx?articleid=2300

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 February 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn
Thanks Dawn  - I haven't as I didn't know about them. I will have a look and see if there is anything that helps. I should have said that I live near Manchester and at the time of the accident my brother and his family, also from this area, were travelling in Scotland at the start of their  holiday. While I am used to doing research the distance, my lack of knowledge of the area and the different laws are making this more difficult than I thought it would be
Thanks again
Linda
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 February 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

the two newspapers are the Dumfries & Galloway Standard and the Annandale Herald.  In both cases, the Ewart Library will have microfiche copies and possibly Annan and Lockerbie Libraries.
strangely, I would have expected a Fatal Accident Enquiry but none seems to have been held.  If someone was prosecuted as a result of the accident, that may have generated a Court  report.

best wishes

Ian A McClumpha

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 February 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

As imchad says the newspapers are in the Ewart Library,the staff at the library are very helpful and I would recommend emailing them, the address is:   ref1@dumgal.gov.uk.

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 February 14 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you inchad and purplekat and i will contact the Ewart library on the email address you have sent me. The information is a real help and is the first time in a year or so that I feel I have found a way forward.
I don't think there was a Fatal Accident Inquiry as the accident, though still difficult to say, was my brother's fault. Before going on holiday he swapped the front & back wheels as he sometimes did in preparation when he knew he would be doing a lot of mileage. As I was told at the time when he was on the A74 one of the hubcaps came off and Graham went to retrieve it. I think the hubcap was on the opposite carriageway and somehow when he went to pick it up he was knocked over and died immediately.  I still can't understand what he was doing as he was such a careful man, he went road running etc, just so out of character. Mind you it must have also been horrific for the car driver especially as Graham's wife and young family were there.
Graham was a well known business man in Bolton and it would normally have been well reported in the local newspapers however they were on strike at the time and by the time there were back in print it would have been old news

Thanks for all the help and I will let you know how I go on.
Linda

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 February 14 12:08 GMT (UK) »
How sad for you and your family Linda.  I hope the library staff find the info your looking for.

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 April 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Found this small piece in the Glasgow Herald, dated 30th Aug 1976.

Lost Hub Cap costs a Life
A lost wheel hub cap cost a man his life yesterday. Travelling north with his family, he stopped on the A74 at Eaglesfield, Dumfriesshire, to search for the hub cap.
He was struck by a southbound car and killed instantly. Police had not named him last night.

Lismore

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 April 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Lismore
While it is only a short article it does confirm what happened. Thank you so much for looking - it was really kind of you to remember and take the time. Also  I would never have  thought to look in a Glasgow newspaper. Much appreciated and I will pass it on to my niece.
Kind regards
Linda Hindley