Author Topic: John Carmichael lookup please  (Read 13510 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Carmichael lookup please
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 16 February 14 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think it ends ...son too.
And if the names 2 & 3 lines below are Donegan or Dougan it looks like our mystery William's name could have started with a D.
But is it Dawson??
Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 16 February 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I agree with the reference to Donegan (as the next entry shows) and whether the first letter is a match to that, indicating Dawson as indexed. I can only see this entry for an unnamed male Dawson though https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYY6-7NL

Monica 

Added: the Dawson couple show in 1861 with a further daughter. Given the entry for a boy Dawson was unnamed, likely baby died shortly after birth?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 16 February 14 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Was just about to post the the Dawson couple have three named daughters on Familysearch, one born 1866 :-\ So agree with your additional comment.

Of course it's possible that the child William Dawson was not born in Dundee. Unless the Carmichaels had his birth certificate, they might not have known his place of birth and just given the enumerator the town where they lived.

Added- and he might not have been registered Dawson (as we know, that could be presumed father's name)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 20 February 14 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys for the help. I have looked at the name several times and i can't read what it says. It could look like Dawson if you take in the letters written on the other names.It looks like it ends in 'son'. I guess we may never know, at least you have got me this far with it,i appreciate you hard work,thanks.   Its strange now as they may have not been actual Carmichaels and the lady that married the Carmichael (my kids Grandparents), her ancestor was born iligitimit and he had the mothers maiden name, not the fathers so technically was not what they thought either.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 20 February 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys for the help. I have looked at the name several times and i can't read what it says. It could look like Dawson if you take in the letters written on the other names.It looks like it ends in 'son'. I guess we may never know, at least you have got me this far with it,i appreciate you hard work,thanks.   Its strange now as they may have not been actual Carmichaels and the lady that married the Carmichael (my kids Grandparents), her ancestor was born iligitimit and he had the mothers maiden name, not the fathers so technically was not what they thought either.

It would happen quite often. Families could be as complicated then as they  are now. At least the Carmichaels took your William in and raised him as their own, taking him to the other side of the world.
Mind you, interestingly, do you remember earlier in the thread I posted this -
Here's one household - Orwell, Milnathort, Old Perth Road

John Carmichael       M   age 25     Slater        born Kinross-shire
Isabel Carmichael     F    age 40                     born Outside Census County
Isabel Carmichael     F    age  3                      born Kinross-shire
James Hall               M   age 15    Ag Lab       born Outside Census County

Obviously you would never know for sure but I think that John Carmichael could be your John Carmichael and I think he was married to the older Isabel Carmichael and was the father of the younger Isabel Carmichael.

The two Isabels are alone without husband/father on the next 3 Censuses at Dunning Perthshire, although Isabel snr is recorded as married on 1851 and 61 before declaring herself a Widow on 1871. Her occupation in 1851 is Slater's wife. Her daughter when she marries in 1873 does not declare her father John as deceased :-\
So could John have left wife one and headed to Dundee and meet Helen Duncan/Cooper and marry her?? Well that's another can of worms ;D ;D ;D

Best wishes and good luck with your research,
Looby :)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 21 February 14 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that.It is possible he was married before. There seems to be a few 'cans of worms' in this family ha ha. I guess we will never know, unless something turns up out of the blue.At least i have got further on than i would have with help from you guys.My family was quite easy,with only a few cousins marrying cousins and a few births before marriages,so i should be grateful that wasn't to hard. People that help on this site make such a huge difference, especially to novices like myself. thanks again.