Author Topic: Help deciphering a name  (Read 8196 times)

Offline lesliebd9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering a name
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 July 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
So, many of your names are in the wrong locale.  IE: Cruickshank
Jane Cruickshank: 
Cruickshank and Lillias Mearns of Aberdeenshire were married in 1790. They had seven children: William (1792), Alexander (1795), Jean/Jane (1797), George (1799), Lilly (1801), Margaret Ellen (1804), Benjamin (1805).
Amelia Forbes Cruickshanks:
Amelia Cruickshank Bridge of Earn 1814 Rev.d I Beatson

Genealogy

Amelia Forbes Cruickshanks was the oldest daughter of Alexander Cruickshanks, a weaver at the Bridge of Earn, and Helenor Grieg, born 25 September, christened 2 October 1803 in Dunbarney, Perthshire. Siblings included James (1805), Helen (1807) and Ann (1810).

Amelia married John Cowans, a widowed baker. While we cannot pin the down exact date of the marriage, we do know that his first wife, Janet Mill, died after the 1841 census. The 1851 Scottish Census lists the household of John Cowans (63), a baker employing four men in the town of Bridge of Earn. Included in the household are Amelea (43), James (21), John (16, a draper's assistant), Mary (14), David (12) and Ann (4). Ann is Amelia's daughter; the other children were from John's first marriage. Ann died in 1879 at the age of 74; cause of death is listed as circumstances resulting from senility. John Cowans died in 1888.

We've also located Reverend James Beatson, of Kirkpottie, Perthshire, who died 1820 and is buried in the Old Dunbarney Cemetery. He is buried with his father Revd. David Beatson and his mother, Amelia Forbes. We presume our Amelia was named for this woman.

2 Paterson's one from Melrose and one from Edinburgh. Wyllie from Brechin in Angus...
MARGRET WYLLIE MM 1804 TENEMENTS OF CALDHAM

Genealogy

Margret was born December 11 and baptized on December 18, 1791. Her father, John Wyllie, was a mason. Her mother's name was Catharine Deis.

Records indicate that on May 25, 1805 Margret was contracted to marry David Ross, a blacksmith, in Brechin.

Period

Brechin, Angus
Additional

There is a companion sampler done by Agnes Allardice, owned by the National Trust of Scotland, that has been made into a fire screen and is currently on display at Culzean Castle. Both samplers list MM on the signature line, presumed to be their teacher.
AND
Margaret Wyllie born the y 1785
James Wyllie Margaret Webster

Genealogy

M. James Wyllie and his wife Margaret Webster did indeed have a daughter they named Margaret 12 July 1785 in Forfar Parish, Angusshire. James Wyllie's profession is entered as Writer. Another daughter, Isabel, was born 18 November 1783.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 July 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

The Wyllie ones are both mine.

John Wyllie was the younger brother of my 4th-great-grandfather, and James Wyllie was his second cousin.

Margaret Wyllie, daughter of John Wyllie and Catherine/Kathleen Deas/Deis, was born in Nether Tenements, Brechin on 11 December 1791 and baptised a week later in presence of the congregation. She married Alexander Young on 24 January 1823 in Brechin, and they had four of a family before Alexander died on 22 October 1832. Margaret herself died of cancer on 2 May 1876 at 14 Pearse Street, Brechin and she was buried in the Cathedral kirkyard at Brechin three days later. Her death was registered by her son John Guthrie Young. Apart from the birth/baptism and death of Alexander Young, I have seen all the birth/baptism, banns/marriages and death records of this family.

I will have to investigate the David Ross and Margaret Wyllie contract, of which I was unaware. 'My' Margaret would have been only 13 years old on the date of that contract, which is exceptionally young, though not impossible at that time. I do have a note that David Ross and Margaret Wyllie had four sons, David, Edwin, Alexander and William, all born at Slankeye, Fettercairn between 1807 and 1812.

Margaret Wyllie, daughter of James Wyllie and Margaret Webster, was born in Forfar on 12 July 1785 and baptised on the 18th. She did not marry, and died in Forfar on 22 January 1832, leaving a very informative will. She had a sister Isabella and six brothers. One of her brothers, William, was the father and grandfather of the quite well-known Victorian artists, William Morrison Wyllie and William Lionel Wyllie.

If you would like all the details I have to hand of either of these families, please PM me your direct e-mail address.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 July 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
I have just found a 1851 census record at Burn Smithy, Fettercairn, which lists Alexander Ross, 40, blacksmith, born Fettercairn and his mother Margaret Wyllie Ross, widow, aged 76, born Fettercairn. Alexander Ross, son of David Ross and Margaret Wyllie, was born at Slankeye on 9 August 1810. I think that is sufficient proof that the Margaret Wyllie who married David Ross in 1805 was not the then 13-year-old daughter of John Wyllie and Catherine Deas.

There is, however, a Margaret Wyllie, born at Slankeye, Fettercairn, in 1773, daughter of  David Wyllie and Mary Taylor. I think it likely that this one is the wife of David Ross. I have been trying for some time, off and on, to connect this David Wyllie with my Wyllie family. There was a David Wyllie in Slankeye in 1732, who could have been this one's father.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.