Author Topic: Edwin Drewett organist Tunbridge Wells and London  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwin Drewett organist Tunbridge Wells and London
« on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello; Im researching Edwin Drewett (1850-1924) an organist and composer of hyms for the organ. I have compiled quite a bit about him but there are gaps in the record that I would appreciate your help with. Im missing some census records for him for the years 1871,1881,1901. Here is some information about him that will help

1911 census has him living in Tunbridge Wells with birth of 1851 Islington,London.He is an organist. With him is his wife Beatrice Mary, born 1879 Colyton,Devon and their son John Searle, born 1910 T. Wells. I have all the information I need about his wife and son.

Marriage record of Edwin Drewett ist qtr 1909 at Axminster,Devon to Beatrice Mary Seale. The 1911 census said they were married 2 years (1909) so this matches.Can someone tell me, without me having to buy the marriage certificate who Edwins' parents were?. I have his wifes parents from another source.

1891 census,taken at Hackney London has Edwin, age 40, born 1851 Islington,London as a boarder, single, a professor of music.

I have Edwins death, probate and burial record (died T. Wells October 26,1924

I have a BMD birth for Edwin Drewett July qtr 1850 Islington,London

I have a baptism record for Edwin Drewett November 6,1850 Hackney,London with parents John and Emma.His father is given as "gentleman" living at Shepperton Collagen, Islington London.

I have a 1861 census taken at 5 Quadrant Road Islington St Mary,Middlesex giving John Drewett born 1806 Southleigh,Oxfordshire, a silk and cotton agent. Living with him is his wife Emma, born 1809 Hackney,Middlesex and a son Edwin Drewett,born 1851 Hackney,Middlesex, a scholar; plus one domestic servant.

I have a probate record for John Drewett late of Addle Street,City of London, and of Eastop-villas, Quadrant Road,Canonbury,Middlesex, a Commission Agent who died Nov 8,1863 at Eastrop villas. His wife Emma Drewett of 5 Eastrop Villa and another were the executors of his under 7,000 pound estate.

From a book about organists I have " Edwin Drewett (1850-1924) born in Islington, London died T. Wells Oct 26,1924. He studied at the Royal Academy of Music.He had a number or organiships in London. He was organist of the Harecourt Congregational Chapel in London; the German Lutheran Church,Dalton (1893-1905) and the German Embassy Church,Brompton (1905-1914).From 1917 to 1924 he was the organist of the Church of King Charles the Martyr in Tunbridge Wells".

So looking for the missing census records for Edwin; would like to know who his parents were on his marriage record of 1909; and any information about his parents and did he have any siblings?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Drewett organist Tunbridge Wells and London
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Can someone tell me, without me having to buy the marriage certificate who Edwins' parents were?.

To lookup a marriage - you have to know which church it took place in.  Here are all the areas covered by the Axminster RD

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/axminster.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
You will find him on the 1871 on Family Search as Druitt

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list?page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

Indexed as Doutt on Ancestry but different occupation - wine merchants clerk b Hackney
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
 Marriage information I have from the Ancestry website does not specify what church Edwin was married in

The information I gave about  him being an organist at the German Lutheran Church in" Dalton " should have been typed "Dalston" which is a district in NE London in the borough of Hackneey so at the time of the 1901 census he was in that location. Having found my error I stumbled across a 1901 census which gave Edwin as "Edward Drewett"born 1852 Stoke Newington, London, a boarder,single, age 49, a professor of music on own account, living with the family of Mary E Cox. So that completes 1901. Still no luck finding him in 1871 and 1881. If my information about his father John  dying in 1863 is correct Edwin should be living on his own or perhaps with his mother in 1871 but I would think that by 1881 his mother Emma (who would be age 72 by then) has probably passed away so Edwin should be living on his own as a boarder/lodger and likely given as a scholar of music. I have from 'the Music World of Nov 18,1882 a report of "Mr Edwin Drewett, pupil of Dr. Steggall"performing at a program of music at the Royal Academy of Music so Edwin appears to be a pupil of music at the Royal Academy in London in 1882.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 18:53 BST (UK) »
The banns for the marriage were read at St Andrew Cloyton if that helps.
There are a number of newspaper articles about Edwin in the British newspapers online if you have access to them.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Found the actual parish record of the marriage Edwin's father is John Drewitt occupation commission agent.
Edwin gave his occupation as a gentleman
Brides father listed as a gentle man.
PM me if you want more details
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi in 1901 he is Edwin Drewett aged 49 occ Professor of Music b Stoke Newington shown as Boarder

Census Ref RG13/217/5/1

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 19:09 BST (UK) »

1881 -RG11 Piece 297 Fol 83 Page 6

Edwin DREWELL aged 30 born Islington - Organist

A boarder at 94 Downs Pk Road, St John Hackney

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi as the 1881/91/1901 have him living with a Cox family, I would think the Edwin DRUITT aged 20 occ Wine Merchants Clerk b Hackney found b Carole is correct.
Census Ref RG10/314/7/39

So their looks to be a link with the Drewett family and possibly the Cox family?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk