Author Topic: Edward Heneage Coltman  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Heneage Coltman
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 September 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
The other brother, Robert, was also described as a gentleman, so there may have been some family money or just Edward and Robert were a little more responsible or industrious with their funds...

I found another snippet on Edward:
He was the lessee or occupier of messuages nos. 21, 22, and 23 of Regent Street, in the parish of All Saints, Poplar in April 1842. This land was owned by the Blackwell Railway Co., who had purchased it before construction of their rail line, and after its completion found that they did not need the land, and sold it off. It was offered first to those persons who owned land adjoining the properties, then to the wider public. Were these some of the properties Edward mentions in his will? If so, it is likely that he bought them from the Blackwell Railway Co...
The notice for the sale appeared in the London Gazette on 19 Apr 1842, pp. 1083-84.

Offline loak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 September 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
In Edwards will I can make out Lower Park Street, Stock Ferry Road, Little Ed?s Street, Coltman Street, Eramus Street, Wood?de,and Regent Street Poplar. I presume the other houses were all in Greenwich. I am trying to work out what Edward did for a living but keep coming up blank.Can't seem to find much about Joseph either.

Offline loak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 September 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Robert J Coltman wasn't mentioned in Edwards will, although James was. Also in the 1851 census Robert  is listed as a retired shoemaker, in the 1861 census he is a proprieter  of houses. Very strange.

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
It's probable that Robert was doing quite well financially, and so Edward didn't feel it necessary to leave him anything....

Edward's properties seem to mainly centre on the area to the immediate north of St. Peter's church in Greenwich. The properties he mentions in his will are:
- Trafalgar Road
- Lower Park Street
- Ferry Place, Horse Ferry Road
- Little Thames Street
- Coltman Street
- Thames Street
- Woodwharf
- Regent Street, Poplar

If you have a look at a map of Greenwich (on GoogleMaps, e.g.) you can see Thames Street running E-W to the north of the church, and perpendicular to that in Horseferry Place. Little Thames Street ran parallel to Thames street along the northern bound of the churchyard (all that is left of it is Clavell Street to the east). Looking at the map, Wood Wharf Apartments and Coltman House are both present, so I would hazard a guess and say that the two roads on which they sit were known as Woodwharf and Coltman St in days gone by.

There is also a Jubilee Court on Thames Road - perhaps this was the site of the Jubilee Alms House where Edward's mother died.

Trafalgar Road is a major road through Greenwich and Lower Park Street was in East Greenwich. Regent was, obviously, across the river in Poplar.

It seems pretty clear that Edward gained his income from rents, but where he got the capital to start such a venture I can't say.

Offline loak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 September 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Toban for your help. I looked at a map of Greenwich but couldn't find much based on the names i had. I think the question of where the money came from is going to remain a mystery for the time being as i can't find much out about Joseph ( Edwards father) I have tried to find a marriage for him in Greenwich and surrounding areas also in Leicestershire but so far have nothing. Also looked for him in the navy , but no joy. Once again thanks for your help.